Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy to all our US mates - got a question from Australia.
We have found some wiring looms (unattached) in our Mazda3s behind the blanking plates in the 4 switch panel to the lower right of our steering columns (remember, we're right hand drive, so it's panel to the lower left of the US/Canadian steering columns).
Now, our little Mazdas don't come with all the cool options you guys get standard, so we only have one dial.
In 04-05 models, it's the instrument panel/dash dimmer dial - and the other 3 spots are blank.
Most often, if we get cruise control, the LED (status indicator for the cruise system) takes up one panel.
That leaves 2 blank.
However, we've found 2 unconnected plugs in there - one green, one blue.
In 06-07 models (facelifted) one of those panels is now for DSC, but the inconnected plugs remain.

We have no idea what these might be.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Neither are possible DSC switches, as we didn't have that option on our cars, by the way.

Pics of your US/Canadian (or any other) model might also be helpful, if you have any.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If I am correct...
-one of them is for the dimmer on the dash like you said earlier
-one is for leveling your headlights up or down (Only for factory installed Xenons)
-one for DSG like you said earlier
-there is no option on any trim level that fills the 4th slot, that I know of

I have a 2006 2.3L S Touring and it didn't come with Xenons and DSG wasn't offered in 2006 so mine only has the dash dimmer...
Hope this helps!!!
PEACE>>>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info - I guess the only way to tell would be if someone with those options mentioned above could have a look when the dash is pulled apart (big ask, I know...).
If we could see those plugs attached to switches that we know, then it would be clearer.
But thanks for the pics and info!

·
Registered
160 Posts
If those plugs are indeed for the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) option, would it be possible that our cars are already equipped with them, but disabled out of the factory? Now, if it isn't equipped, would it be possible to purchase the module and switch and install it ourself cause ultimately it seems like an add-on?

·
Registered
217 Posts
[quote author=JSAP123 link=topic=88720.msg1711938#msg1711938 date=1189706479]

[/quote]

don't remember where i saw it, but one of those slots is supposed to be a coin holder. it's JDM.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote author=Ultra link=topic=88720.msg1732672#msg1732672 date=1190529081]
If those plugs are indeed for the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) option, would it be possible that our cars are already equipped with them, but disabled out of the factory? Now, if it isn't equipped, would it be possible to purchase the module and switch and install it ourself cause ultimately it seems like an add-on?
[/quote]

No, unfortunately. You can't install any 'factory' options aftermarket.
We have checked with Mazda, and they must be installed during the build of the car.
Still no ideas on what they actually are...?
Good, logical guesses, but I guess we need a wiring diagram to know for sure.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 2007 Grand Touring with all the goodies. In the US, it goes from left to rgiht: HID headlight leveler, Dashboard light Dimmer, DSC Off Switch, and the 4th one is empty. I have every option in my car but Navi, so I don't think the 4th one is used at all in any US spec cars.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any chance you could pull out the panel and see which colour plugs go into those switches?
Big ask, so I understand if you can't be bothered!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can do it this weekend for you. Buy the time I get home from school and work during the week, it is dark outside. I'll try on Staurday for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I am correct...
-one of them is for the dimmer on the dash like you said earlier
-one is for leveling your headlights up or down (Only for factory installed Xenons)
-one for DSG like you said earlier

I have a 2006 2.3L S Touring and it didn't come with Xenons and DSG wasn't offered in 2006 so mine only has the dash dimmer...
Hope this helps!!!
PEACE>>>

I just bought a2008 MAZDA3 Grand Touring, yesterday. I have a rotating knob in position four. I haven’t figured out what it is. Thats why I came to this site. Hoping to find out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts