Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn Engine Light came on today at 13K miles on my 06 M3. WTF? thought maybe i didnt put the gas cap on tight enough. had to roll into the Stealer and thank god it is under warranty.

Tech notes say:
Has code P0455-checked gas cap-ok, ran evap test-passed, Pulled off Purge sol and vac tested-wont hold more than 10in of vac.

Replaced Purge sol and and hose-passed, checked for update calibrations. none available at this time.

Dang. i hope i dont have to replace that damn thing every 13k??? and i am wondering if that magnaflow muffler and removal of the resonater the PO did has anything to do with it....

Zc

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Wouldn't have anything to do with the purge soleniod. That is used for purgining fuel vapors in your gas tank at startup. Repeated over fillings could maybe do it in. Generally it is a manufacturing or design defect that does them in. I would think it is unlikely to die again, but it could happen.
-Matt

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got mine back from the dealer the other day; at 20,000 miles it returned error code P0455 as well. It says here on the repair slip that there was an evaporative emission system leak detection. or somethign like that. Jesus, I'm a car nut and this stuff looks like greek to me.

Basically, it says that a pump was leaking. They replaced part # LF6618581. It says $0.00 under the charges, sicne it was under warranty. sorry I can't help the out-of-warranty folks on cost...

I also wonder if this is going to happen again, after the warranty has expired... hopefully it's just a one time thing. Another reason I'm glad this car has the 50K warranty instead of the 36K that most cars have.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, i have the same CEL for P0455. They replaced the purge soleniod and refreshed the engine. After 500 mile, my engine is chocking again on 1st gear only in the morning. Time to wait for the CEL and bring that in.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to post the part number. They notes say they replaced the selenoid and the hose, but they only list a part number for the hose??? Curious.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I had the same code, and Mazda said that it means "I have a small penis"! :shock:

:p :lol:

·
Registered
702 Posts
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=55566.msg922004#msg922004 date=1156968132]
Wouldn't have anything to do with the purge soleniod. That is used for purgining fuel vapors in your gas tank at startup. Repeated over fillings could maybe do it in. Generally it is a manufacturing or design defect that does them in. I would think it is unlikely to die again, but it could happen.
-Matt
[/quote]
What is overfilling..I'm guessing you are referring to putting gas in the tank. I always put as very much gas in tank as possible. Fill till auto shut off then keep on putting little squirts in until I can see gas come up to the silver thing (then it goes down). I've done this for almost 3 years...no problems yet. If this is overfilling what problems can arise because of it.
Thanks
everfeb

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
[quote author=everfeb link=topic=55566.msg1009141#msg1009141 date=1160763551]
[quote author=azazel1024 link=topic=55566.msg922004#msg922004 date=1156968132]
-Matt
[/quote]
What is overfilling..I'm guessing you are referring to putting gas in the tank. I always put as very much gas in tank as possible. Fill till auto shut off then keep on putting little squirts in until I can see gas come up to the silver thing (then it goes down). I've done this for almost 3 years...no problems yet. If this is overfilling what problems can arise because of it.
Thanks
everfeb
[/quote]

That's REALLY overfilling it. The purge solenoid is connected to the filler neck and it's designed to release vapors into a charcoal cannister when the tank pressure gets too high. When you fill it up like that, the pressure is way too high and the solenoid releases raw gas into the cannister. You're basically wasting gas and possibly damaging the solenoid when you do that.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Yeah that is over filling it to much. It also is bad for emissions, as some space is needed in the fuel tank and fuel neck to purge fuel vapors and act as a vapor catch to prevent them from escaping (while filling at least). That much over filling could eventually damage the purge soleniod and charcoal canister (I was invisioning a slight over filling, not filled to the gunwales). It also will promote a rich burn when the purge soleniod opens because you might well get actual gas purged instead of vapors.

Anyway, fill it up till the pump stops filling and maybe a click or two beyond if you are neurotic (no more then .1gallons beyond the pump auto shutting off). These cars get enough gas milage and have a large enough tank that an extra quarter gallon or even half gallon isn't going to get you THAT much further before you need to fillup anyway.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Overfilling....That was my theory also for the high number of purge valve failures. I've always 1/2 - 3/4 filled my tank on every gas stop. For day to day local trips, I do 1/2 tank fillup 2 times a week. 1/2 tank for me generally runs $12. I haven't had a purge valve failure to date after 45,000 miles. I've always wondered how a valve that just controls the flow of vapor could fail so early and so frequently.

From what I researched on the vapor control system....gas tends to evaporate easily and the tank is designed to function w/ a little pocket such that the vapor can collect. By overfilling you basically delete the pocket, and allow the liquid form of gasoline to occupy the spaces, lines, and cansister that were meant to handle just the vapors. The vapors that collect in the tank are vented to the charcoal canister, which the charcoal absorbs. When the car is started, the vaccum lines in the engine draws the vapors from the canister and it is routed back to the engine. The purge valve controls the amount of vapors which are routed back to the engine to be burned w/ the air/fuel mixture. When the purge valve fails...it basically draws raw fuel, instead of vapors, directly to the intake system. This creates a very rich fuel mixture = CEL light and the bogging.

I wonder from all of those that needed to have their purge valve replaced, are you types that fill up your tank as much as possible (i.e. - auto-shutoff and then add a few more pumps).

·
Registered
702 Posts
WOW...I had no idea!!! Thanks very much guys. From now on it will be to the shutoff.
I've been filling like this for a couple reasons...first I live in Canada but buy my Gas in the States...as crossing the border can be a bit of a hassle at times I always filled 'er right up so I wouldn't have to deal with this as often...2nd-I AM very anal about tracking my gas mileage and try to fill-up as consistently as possible which to me was "to the brim". I'll stop doing that.
I have one of those 2.3 4spd ATX with problematic gas mileage. Maybe this will help improve it by burning a leaner mix?
Thanks for the info!!!
everfeb

·
Registered
363 Posts
wow this is helpful..maybe i've been gettin 19 miles a gallon because of a bad purge valve..because i always overfill mines..i think i should keep on overfilling it so my purge valve can mess up..that way a cel light will come up and the dealership can replace it :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
ell, i just had mine back in the shop again for the same code, P0455. They said that this time my purge valve was sticking, which caused the CEL to come on. He actually explained it a bit better exactly what had caused the code the first time,t oo.

He said that there is a hose that runs a little too close to the engine (or something else that gets really hot) and that it causes it to crack. The replacement hose that they installed is shaped differently, so now the hose is routed away from the hot part. So, anybody that's had this fix done to their car, it shoudln't happen again, since it's a design flaw that has been resolved witht he new hose.

So anyway, just thought I'd post that and let you guys know exactly what is causing this common CEL code.

·
Registered
568 Posts
i know this is basically a dead topic, but i had this same code come on recently on my car...

i have the vibrant header and magnaflow cat-back exhaust w/ high-flow cat
i don't have the anti-fouler on my o2 sensor, so i think that's what's causing it...

any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
Different code for low/no/slow catalyst operation then for purge valve problems. So no, I doubt not having an anti-fouler had anything to do with you setting this code.
-Matt

·
Registered
568 Posts
hmmm...well now i'm confused!

if it is the purge valve, then that would suck -- my dealership disowned me once i put the header on my car, haha (bastards...)
so that's not too cool...

·
Registered
568 Posts
well, they basically straight-up said that my warranty was revoked and they couldn't even pop-open the hood without charging me...

good thing i know a thing or two about cars (i'm a technician, btw), or else this would REALLY suck!
but yeah, it hasn't come on for a while and i tightened the hell out of my gas cap -- also, didn't overfill it either...
we'll see what happens! 8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts