Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the list of mods I'm planning to put on my MS3 I could end up pushing over 300 hp if you believe the CPe dyno charts. Sounds like that is approaching the point where the bottom end and clutch will be iffy. I have only 1400 miles on the motor, will I need to re-hone the cylinder walls? From what I've seen in the past, the factory honing process is hard to match, atleast by a small shop. Would do the work myself unless I need some machine work. If so anyone know of a good engine shop in the central florida area? Thanks.

· Registered
514 Posts
So what makes you feel the need to re-hone the cylinder walls? Because you're going to be pushing 300 whp? Or because you plan on boring out the cylinders for bigger pistons?

What kind of mods do you plan on doing? You probably don't need internals unless your going big turbo. Fully bolted w/ a fuel pump and engine management will bring you pretty close to 300hp (if not more) without the need for internals.

Keep in mind that the rods seem to be the weakest link in this engine, but if you're gonna do those you might as well do the pistons also.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for proper break-in of the rings. I've built several motors in the past, none with low mileage where you had to bore and re-one. I rebuilt a Honda Transalp 600 twin motorcycle which needed some minor boring and re-hone. Local shop did the machine work. Rode it from Florida to Alaska and back. Finally got the rings seated by the time we returned, used oil the entire trip. That was 10 years ago, sold it to a guy who's still riding it, no oil usage. Must have been the cylinder hone pattern.
I don't want to take any chances with the motor, thinking about doing everything at one time just to be safe. Still procuring parts but I doubt I'll go big turbo, DISI sounds like it maxes out at 350 hp which would require big fuel system mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.