Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2008 Mazda 3 2.3l AT that I’ve replaced the driver side CV axle three times within three months. And every time the rod is popping out of the case where the rubber seal is. I’m on the third CV axle, The rubber seal isn’t busted and it’s still making a ticking noise. Every time I turn the steering wheel a little I hear a clunking noise, The part that connects into the transmission is a little loose I don’t know if that is normal. My car is lowered and the rod looks a little angled up, with that being said I have a little bit of camber in the front but it’s not too much or any wear on the tire. I’m not too sure if there’s something wrong with the transmission or the CV axle?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I don't know any way a properly seated CV axle with a good C-clip would just pop out. They are hard enough to pull out when you actually want to. I remember one post somewhere where the spring from the seal had come loose and was partially preventing the CV axle from being properly seated upon installation. Maybe something like that is going on?

·
Registered
661 Posts
How are you installing the axle when it enters the transmission? That part of the job requires some "oomph", as in the axle end has to pop into place. Basically, when you first removed it there should have been quite a fight to remove it as the locking clip prevents the nub from popping out. I believe in past jobs I've put it in place and then smacked it with a large ball peen hammer while rotating it. There will be a prounounced pop when it seats, plus it should be flush with the side of the transmission.

Reactions: steventolbert43

·
Registered
460 Posts
How are you installing the axle when it enters the transmission? That part of the job requires some "oomph", as in the axle end has to pop into place. Basically, when you first removed it there should have been quite a fight to remove it as the locking clip prevents the nub from popping out. I believe in past jobs I've put it in place and then smacked it with a large ball peen hammer while rotating it. There will be a prounounced pop when it seats, plus it should be flush with the side of the transmission.
What he said. You really need to shove it in to overcome the force of the clip. Once in it should not come out on its own. We have a slide hammer and a crowfoot attachment we use to remove them, and even with that it takes several solid blows sometimes. I've never had luck popping them out with a pry bar, probably because we work on our driveway on jack stands and can't get adequate leverage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The CV itself is not coming out of the transmission it’s the joint connected to that part that keeps popping out I’m not sure why it’s doing it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts