Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to make a plate to mount my amp to since I wanted to use the cargo hook brackets in the back so I went searching for something pretty strong and the right shape... Came across a nice 2 set of cutting boards at walmart, one of which is 11x14 which would just about fit perfectly.
I ran over to lowes (a few times as the design changed) and grabbed some 6x20 metric bolts (probably should have been 25 to be safe) and big fat washers to mount to the factory mount point thing... I also found some nylon offsets to lift the amp up so I could run wires underneath.

I ran all the wires Saturday back to the little light access panel in the back which I was lucky enough to be able to stick my hand into pretty easily. I dry fit the board in place and traced around where the handle was to cut a hole to run the wire out of, then cut out a little rectangle with my rotary tool. I then bolted the plate to the top, and screwed the bottom two into the plastic panes under the carpet. Small pilot holes made screwing the amp in a little easier. There is about an inch of cutting board overlap on the top and bottom but I think I can live with it.

You can see the handle on the side where the wires run out of which turned out pretty good.

The spacers add enough room to run cables underneath and add a little airflow.

It turns on when the car is on and off when it is off, so I at least got that part right... I will have to wait for brown santa to come to install my sub and see if the controls work...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but once I put my sub box in it would be worthless... all that is in there is an umbrella anyways... I can still get into the main section easily which is pretty good...

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Pretty cool. The only other thing I would have done would be to paint the cutting board black or gray or something so that it blends in a little better. Nice idea though!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've always thought a good way to make an amp rack would be with thick Lexan, but I like the cutting board idea better. Very clean! :goodjob:

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
[quote author=DrWebster link=topic=137720.msg2969200#msg2969200 date=1235947437]
I've always thought a good way to make an amp rack would be with thick Lexan, but I like the cutting board idea better. Very clean! :goodjob:
[/quote]

That's a good idea too, its strong, and would allow for some led's or glow tubes behind it (if you are into that showy sort of presentation).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts