Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say: "No, I will not make one for you, too much time and effort that I don't have. But....I may end up selling this one :D"

Ok now that's out of the way. After getting the TWM shifter base bushings I got a wild hair and decided to make a weighted knob to maybe improve the shift feel even more. Came up with a design and did a little math to find the angles needed and such and drew it up in a 3D CAD program to see if I liked the looks. Sorry no pics of the rendered knob. Took about 3 hours to make (Measure twice cut one!) with cutting on the lathe then filing the edges smooth and to drill and tap the hole. The finished product came out better, and heavier, then I thought it would be. Final weight ended up being 762 grams. That's more then 3 times the stock '07 knob at 237 grams. First impressions while driving are good definitely makes shifting much more effortless and takes out almost all the notchy feeling. But personally think it is too heavy for the stock shifter. With it being so high up there is alot of leverage and seems to almost counteract what you want sometimes. Don't get me wrong it feels awesome but I feel it would be better with a short shifter. Well since I wasn't planning on dropping the cash for a short shifter I am possibly thinking about selling this one to regain my cost in materials and time to make one out of a high grade aluminum to get a slightly lighter knob. I would just make a smaller one from the same steal as this knob but the size of this knob feels perfect for me. Who ever ends up with it will need to put some form of finish on it, being steal it will tend to rust. I was probably going to clear it but I'm going to leave it in case the next owner wants to maybe powder coat it or something. So if you are interested PM me an offer and It will go to the highest bidder.

Ok and now for the pics. The first one is a a pic is the stock knob for comparison and the last one is to show how it ties in with the silver button on the E-brake. Pics of the CAD drawing with the dimensions soon!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good for you! Looks like nice work.

Not sure how deep the thread goes, but if you'd like to lighten it up, you could bore out the tapped hole to within, say, 50 or 100 thousandths of the outside diameter, as far up as you can get away with.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I've got a cad file and a 6lb round of 304 stainless sitting on my dresser waiting to be turned. Was supposed to have a buddy do it on a CNC mill last year but he had to go and break his foot and withdraw from that class. Eventually i'll get one though probably very similar to that....

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about boring out the inside but figured it would be too much hassle for whats its worth and not sure it would drop the weight to where I would want it. I'm looking to get around 400-500 grams, just around twice the stock. A similar size hunk of 7075 aluminum weighs about that so I may just cut one and see what it ends up at. Thanks for the idea though... I just might end up doing it anyway.

·
Registered
310 Posts
hey, that knob is just like the one I plan to make, seriously, its like the classic twm knob but only bigger. Can you give me the dimensions, top diameter, greater diameter, base diameter and height of each segment please.

Also a question, did you use the thread bushing that twm has or you made the thread yourself? I plan on making the thread myself but dont know how deep the thread needs to be.

please help
thanks

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
i have no idea what it is worth. PM me with what you think would be acceptable.

·
Registered
80 Posts
hey sokool, i was wondering if i could have your 07 stock knob if you made a new one? i really like the look of the new shift knob as opposed to the 04 knob that i have.
let me know if you wanna do that.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of right now I would like to keep it. I recently got a short shifter and am actually using my custom knob on and off but haven't decided on which one I'll stick with.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sokool, i just finished mine and its something similar to yours, mine is a little bit over 800grams but dont know if its too much, hows the shifting? does it get really hot?

whats the greater diameter at the center, mine is 2"

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep 2" on mine as well. Sorry I didn't see your previous post asking for dimensions, I'll try to get a picture with dimensions tomorrow. With a short shifter it feels awesome, but on the stock shifter it felt too heavy. It felt "rubbery" and almost effortless. Also going from 2nd to 3rd was odd because it wanted to keep going up to 1st. Imagine something heavy on the end of a flexible pole felt like that. As far as heat never really noticed it being untouchable yet...

So if you have a short shifter you should be ok, otherwise find a way to lighten it. :(

·
Registered
310 Posts
thanks , im planning on getting a short shifter, for now ill have it for looks.

ill post pics tomorrow but its like im looking at my shift knob.

·
Registered
310 Posts
thats nice, a flat black finish, i like it polish but its nice to know that when i get bored of the shinny, i can always change the color and it would look nice.

Check my post, there are some pics there
custom stainless steel knob

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Looks pretty sweet-the overall height I have on my drawing is about the same but the lower part comes up higher -i may end up modifying it a little as it looks kinda off

·
Registered
892 Posts
I like the black; It's less 'in your face'.

·
Registered
80 Posts
[quote author=Sokool link=topic=69532.msg1266233#msg1266233 date=1173844067]
As of right now I would like to keep it. I recently got a short shifter and am actually using my custom knob on and off but haven't decided on which one I'll stick with.
[/quote]

just let know if you to get rid of it sometime.
thanks,
MARK

·
Registered
293 Posts
very cool design~
nice choice of flat black... i like it better than the shiny silver look!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts