Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after looking over the car and hating to put some massive box in the hatch its time for a cusomt enclosure. After the first idea of just creating the usual false floor I inspected it and realized without adding about 3" or so to the floor's height or losing the spare tire(I am just againt having to remove this for the sake of audio) I decided to build a custom 3/4 fiberglass with a front MDF ring for a 10" sub where the jack is currently located. I ran some quick numbers and the area back there is enough to support a small sealed box sub with little modification to the carpeted side panel, I might try and start on this tomorrow if not then most likely during the upcoming week if I am not too busy, I will be taking some pictures throughout the steps to serve as a small walkthrough if it turns out decent ill keep you guys updated on this since we all know the 3 could definitely use some mroe bass w/out sacrificing space. And as a small side note after this project the next is to put my car pc's LCD screen where the current ash tray and panel with the airbag light/lighter on it but unfortunately only 1 project at a time.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I measured close to 1 cu/ft of airspace (exterior dimensions) in that little cubby. With that, I would make a ported box (using precision ports of course). It would sound awesome.

Definately post pics when done.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Damn! Someone else took my idea before I could get the parts together!!!

Though, I was going for the "subtle" effect, and was probably going to use an 8" Eclipse, or 6.5" Kicker. The 6.5 will fit with minimal changes to the compartment, anything larger and you really have some custom work to chop up.

Question though (to VaBoom)- why vented? Wouldn't it require additional cu/ft to port than if it were sealed?

Best of luck to you Crzy, and definitly let us see the install steps - I'm curious what mine will look like and take to do!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJ, I was going with the 10" onyl for the fact that I have like 7 of them lying around here and some are nice subs, but I dont have any 8". As far as the modification I had to cut a bit of the area outside the panel area of the jack, for an 8" I think there is plenty of space to just cut the inner edge out of the area there andjsut start building. I got the first layer done yesterday and right now I am putting on the additional layers.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I am almost finished with the box I think it will turn out better than expected :) Anyways there are some pics up on my cardomain site http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/530288/2 I should have it completely finished this weekend after I get some time to pick up some carpet or vinyl or whatever I finally decide on.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Looks good so far. Kinda of looks a little thin, but that may just be the pics.

As for vented, you wouldnt need to make the box any bigger if the port was outside of the box. Basically, I was thinking if you used a precision port, one end would get attached to the box. The other end would hang out towards the front of the car. Tuned high enough, the woofer would get plenty loud.

Of course the port would be behind the trunk cover piece so you wouldnt even see it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have thought about porting it, but to start off I am just going to keep it sealed to see hwo I like it and how it sounds. As of tonight Iam basically done except for carpeting it which will have to wait until this weekend and installing the amp. As for being thin the board is 3/4" plywood coated in resin(makes it about as hard as concrete) and the fiberglass is about 4-5 layers deep(as a reference after about 7-8 layers you could have yourself a nice new jackstand for the car :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just plywood rather than MDF since I was going to fiberglass I didn't need the extra rigidity the MDF board provides and I didnt happen to have any laying around either :) . As far as the mounting that is what had me confused in the beginning, but I am using the screw hole that holds the jack in place as well as another screw hole that didnt appear to be in use about a 10" or so up from the first hole, and just for grins I fabbed up a braket to go from the 3rd seat belt bolt to the box for extra securing, although the first 2 screws seem like they would hold it damn well by themselves I just made the bracket with some extra steel I had laying around.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well im pressed for time but here is 1 pic of the final install except for the grill
please post some ocmments and hwen I get more time tomorrow Ill post some more.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You don't need a jack - you have a 1-800 Mazda Roadside Assistance.

If you have the spare, the tow truck has the jack.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had thought about creating a mold for it to maybe sell a few boxes but since there was cutting involved in the compartment back there I decided against it, although if I had access to one that is not cut I could create a mold for like an 8" sub back there and start making the boxes, but that iwll msot likely not happen :) but if anyone does have any questions just go ahead and ask and I'll try to help out. As far as it fitting in the sedan if the trunk area has a similar design for the jack storage area one could be created no problem. After some calculations the box has about .85 cubic feet to it, the kenwood I had laying around that I am using should have a full cubic foot but I just used some polyfill, or you could use a sub with a smaller air space requirement.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You should sell the design to JL audio or MTX for a stealthbox. If they wait too long, they will lose out on a buttload of money.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
JL and MTX dont depend on Stealthboxes all that much anymore. We rarely sell them (I havent seen one sold or even talked about since being at Car Toys). Besides, they arent all that great... Ive heard a few in trucks that sounded ok.

In small, custom enclosures, I would highly recommend the use of a Image Dynamics driver. They produce lots of low end bass in very small enclosures (Ive heard a 12" in a .35 cu/ft box that sounded phenominal). They are also the one of a few companies that makes an award winning IB driver.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts