1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
HAHA your right looks just like mine... :lol: I think mine is a bit shorter as it looks stubbier then yours. I ditched the silver finish and finished mine is a flat black. Doesn't stick out as much and goes with the interior a bit better. I tryed to take pics today and they didn't come out the greatest. I'll post one in my thread in a minute for giggles.

BTW how does it feal?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
looks pretty sweet man- Did you turn it on a cnc lathe or? I've still got my round of stainless sitting on my dresser and a cad file i just gotta get myself access to a machine shop or have someone do it for me

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no, i did it on a regular lathe, after that a 150 and then 320 sanding.

it feels great, only problem is when it gets hot, it really gets hot

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
what size round did you start with? My buddy has a lathe but the cylinder i bought is 3" long and he said he might not be able to get the ends clamped and be able to work with the metal

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, first you start by doing the bottom part, i dont remember what was the length of the ss piece but it was like 3"

you can get similar dimensions from sokool post, i changed the a bit so it would fit exactly my hand in the way I position when shifting. I recommend doing a wood first so you can get the feel of the diameter and height, you can change the dimensions so its a perfect match between the knob and your hand.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Thanks man-good call on the wood too. I've got a wood lathe downstairs that I can mess around with.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
that looks really good, but that would be a pain in the ass to do... is that on the stock shifter?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, its on the stock shifter, im planning on getting a short shifter but for now stock will have to do.

I notice that the weight helps, a little but helps. as far as how it feels, i first did a wood one to see if i needed to increase/decrease any dimensions, i finish with a little over 2" in the diameter and the height is done accordinly to my hand so my thumb can rest on the top of the knob and my hand can cover all the side of the knob. Anyone that might want to do a custom one, i suggest start with some play do and if you find something that fits nice, then go for the wooden one, and finish with the steel so you dont mess up in the beggining.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts