Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't stand the scratches I had on top of my rear bumper...I am so so so so careful not to let anything touch the rear bumper, but the dreaded day happened and it was a terrible eye sore. I was going to get it painted again, but I feared it could happen again, and a $400 repaint would be down the drain. Sooo, I decided to go to a friend's sign shop and he gave me a sheet of black matte vinyl. I stuck it on and cut it free hand with a utility knife. It turned out looking surprisingly good. I know, I know...not as nice as without it, but now I have the peace of mind that my bumper is protected...and it was FREE. Anyways, here is a picture of it:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
thats a REALLY good idea. i have 3 teenage girls that i have to take to school with me every day that dont give a damn about cars and always scratch my rear mumber to pieces!!! :evil: :madcrazy: it pisses me off so much. it might not even be noticable on a black mica 3

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=Mole's 3 link=topic=68095.msg1173950#msg1173950 date=1170045646]
It would protect it, but not cover up current scratches.....
[/quote]

Exactly. If I decided to repaint the bumper, I was DEFINITELY going to put some of that 3M clear protective adhesive on the top to prevent this from happening again. The black was used to cover current scratches and protect from new ones, while maintaining a near-stock appearance. So far people have been saying that it looks like "it is supposed to be there."

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LED 3rd brake light is from nabobery (ebay id name) and it is a whole unit. I wanted to stay away from colors because it would look like I was trying to match the paint but couldn't...and I like the matte finish as opposed to the gloss. We tried a variety of vinyls and this looked the best, and it was his top quality product (3M Scotchcal 220).

·
Registered
104 Posts
understand.. thanx for the info about the 3rd light.. I was hoping U bought it somewhere else.. the only reason I do not want buy it from him is the PRICE.. way way to much for such a thing.. oh well.. got my $32 worth LEDs and will stay happy with the red cover :)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
scuff guard looks great man, might steal the idea and do it to my sunlight sedan

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I've been careful not to scratch my rear bumper, but as soon as it gets warm outside I'm going to get some of the 3M and put it on there. I may do some on the bottom of the trunklid too, because I can see there being a bunch of wear/scratches over time from grabbing it to lift it.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I am looking to get some inside the door handle.....girls with long nails and stuff getting into my car has done a number on the inside of the grove.

·
Registered
315 Posts
[quote author=cub4bearindiana link=topic=68095.msg1174126#msg1174126 date=1170057812]

btw. may I ask where did U get that clear 3rd break light lense? was that the whole unit? or just lense? I bought LED 3rd stop light.. just not into the red lense/frame..

thanx
[/quote]

My 07 has a clear cover. I put in a LED light panel and just removed the red lens from inside the housing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts