Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the local exhaust and muffler shop. Since I'm on a budget, i thought it would be cheaper and more "economical" to get a custom exhaust instead of buying direct for a full exhaust kit ~$500-700. Dirk (lol) quoted me at 375 after parts and labor and tax. He said he couldn't touch the cat because my car isn't old enough; its a 2008 5dr. I would get a nice chrome tip, a 2.5 inch pipe from the stock resonator to a magnaflow muffler. He claimed that the gains and sound would be similar and the price sure is a lot sexier. any suggestions on what to do? does this sound like a pretty reasonable price? i checked other places, but no one seems to be a fan of magnaflow in my city.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Trubendz and cut/install it yourself.... It's only like $300ish for the stainless steel setup and even less for aluminized steel. Plus like $30 for shipping and that would get you better gains since you would be running a straight/test/race (whatever you want to call it) pipe.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A lot of people just get the speed3 system from other forum members who have cut theirs off. I got mine for less than 200 and then paid like 50 to get it installed. See if anyone local has an MS3 CBE that they don't want/need.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Note that if you get a custom exhaust like that it is not manderal (sp?) bent so the flow will not be the same as say the trubendz or the MazdaSpeed 3 or any of the other manufactured exhausts. Most shops done have a manderal (again sp?) bender. The difference is the manufactured exhausts are the same diameter all the way through the pipe even at bends and the custom exhaust you would get from a shop would have a smaller diameter at the bends since they basically just crush/stretch the pipe to get it bend.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=prototype99 link=topic=137548.msg2965845#msg2965845 date=1235768864]
Note that if you get a custom exhaust like that it is not manderal (sp?) bent so the flow will not be the same as say the trubendz or the MazdaSpeed 3 or any of the other manufactured exhausts. Most shops done have a manderal (again sp?) bender. The difference is the manufactured exhausts are the same diameter all the way through the pipe even at bends and the custom exhaust you would get from a shop would have a smaller diameter at the bends since they basically just crush/stretch the pipe to get it bend.
[/quote]

Hmmm... he told me that the diameter would increase from 2 to 2.5 inches at the stock resonator. so yea, its not going to be the same lenght all the way through. i guess ill need to clarify whether they will be crimping the pipes like you say, or whether they actually have this mandrel bent piping all ready, or if they do it themselves. iono. Dirk (lol) told me that i could expect some minimal gains and free up the air flow. even if i do go with a trubendz or what have you it will still come out to the same or more moneywise. maybe if i get my hands on a mazdaspeed3 catbackexaust that would be good, but i have heard good and bad things about these.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Well if the shop is selling you the custom one for $375 and you get the Trubendz SS 2.5" standard kit (has a race pipe) it is only $360 shipped. How would that cost more? That is less by $15. Not sure how it would cost more. Hacksaw only costs like $8 at most hardware stores so you still end up saving $7 and you get a better product and you get the joy when your done to look at your car and say I install this. :)

No matter what decision you make be sure to post some videos and pics up.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear that man... the joy of installation. However, i'm a total effing noob. i jumped with joy when i changed my oil and did the spin on conversion. i have heard that the trubendz is pretty loud. Not sure if i want something that loud, but iono, everyone has their opinion of what loud is. almost all the videos that i can find for trubendz are gone or deleted. i really like the subtleness of the magnaflow. i dont want to be some poser with a fart can, just something with a slightly deeper tone and a tid extra power.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
860 Posts
Trubendz is just piping with a magnaflow muffler with the option of magnaflow resonator. Technically it is Magnaflow.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mmk, so can anyone tell me hows i get this trubendz to have a deep warm hum instead of a deep gurgle with spittle and raspy noises from time to time. would i need the magnaflow resonator for that or would stock be prefferable? sorry for so many Qs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Unless you have a shop weld the stock one into the trubendz piping you couldn't use it. Which would be a performance downgrade since the stock one is on a smaller inlet outlet pipe. The magnaflow one for trubendz would be the same diameter. I'm actually considering getting it for my car. Trubendz told me that the resonator would take some if not all of the raspyness out of it the tone. Its only like $100 for it from trubendz and it bolts right up.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=manstallion link=topic=137548.msg2966093#msg2966093 date=1235776340]
mmk, so can anyone tell me hows i get this trubendz to have a deep warm hum instead of a deep gurgle with spittle and raspy noises from time to time. would i need the magnaflow resonator for that or would stock be prefferable? sorry for so many Qs.
[/quote]

The deeper tone is given by the resonator(s). The more gnarly sounding one probably doesn't have a resonator.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks. So lets see if i have this right. If i want the "nicer" tone, i would have to go with the trubendz that COMES with an aftermarket resonator AS WELL as the muffler. and the stock piping is what... 2.25 inches?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
from what ive read, it seems like i should go with a 2.5 inch version over the 2.25 if i am planning on putting in a cai and other minor performance enhancements, im just worried ill lose some low end torque, and i dont have any to lose, seeing as there isnt much torque anyways. lol...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey thanks cali_axela, just cuz i'm a noob i have one final question. Is the install just as easy if i am gonna get the magnaflow resonator? i mean, i dont really have much in the way of tools. got some screwdrivers, a decent set of japanese size socket wrenches, and a set of rhino ramps, lol... would exhaust clamps work for this setup? or would it be wise to still have a shop weld all the joints? i like to cover my bases to minimize screw ups and hopefully save time in the long run.. i was told i will need a good hacksaw, and i might invest in some decent jack stands so i can get under my car. any other suggestions on this install would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
435 Posts
buy a tsudo N! exhaust for $180 shipped.

then buy 1 or even 2 magnaflow 5inch resonators for $70 from performancepeddler.com

then decide if you want the tsudo coffee can muffler or replace with another type.

will likely end up being around$350 after the labor costs of welding and all that.

now you have a mandrel bent stainless exhaust.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=manstallion link=topic=137548.msg2966483#msg2966483 date=1235791706]
hey thanks cali_axela, just cuz i'm a noob i have one final question. Is the install just as easy if i am gonna get the magnaflow resonator? i mean, i dont really have much in the way of tools. got some screwdrivers, a decent set of japanese size socket wrenches, and a set of rhino ramps, lol... would exhaust clamps work for this setup? or would it be wise to still have a shop weld all the joints? i like to cover my bases to minimize screw ups and hopefully save time in the long run.. i was told i will need a good hacksaw, and i might invest in some decent jack stands so i can get under my car. any other suggestions on this install would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

Personally, I preferred getting my exhaust welded by a reputable local muffler shop. It took them about 45 minutes and cost $65. They spent a long time tweaking with the angles and making sure it sits perfectly in the center of the exhaust cutout of the bumper, there's clearance when it moves around, etc. I'm sure I could have done it, I have a pretty respectable tool set, jackstands etc... but it just isn't the type of job that seems worth the hassle. Their experienced install was more than worth the slight extra cost to me: no headaches or hassles, either at the time of install or afterwards... if there are ever problems with it I know they'll fix them fast and cheap/free. It has been almost 2 years now, and my exhaust still performs and looks flawless... plus, I didn't have to get dirty :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote author=cali_axela link=topic=137548.msg2966517#msg2966517 date=1235793233]
[quote author=manstallion link=topic=137548.msg2966483#msg2966483 date=1235791706]
[/quote]

Personally, I preferred getting my exhaust welded by a reputable local muffler shop. It took them about 45 minutes and cost $65. They spent a long time tweaking with the angles and making sure it sits perfectly in the center of the exhaust cutout of the bumper, there's clearance when it moves around, etc. I'm sure I could have done it, I have a pretty respectable tool set, jackstands etc... but it just isn't the type of job that seems worth the hassle. Their experienced install was more than worth the slight extra cost to me: no headaches or hassles, either at the time of install or afterwards... if there are ever problems with it I know they'll fix them fast and cheap/free. It has been almost 2 years now, and my exhaust still performs and looks flawless... plus, I didn't have to get dirty :)
[/quote]

lawl at getting dirty...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=classicaddict link=topic=137548.msg2966485#msg2966485 date=1235791819]
buy a tsudo N! exhaust for $180 shipped.

then buy 1 or even 2 magnaflow 5inch resonators for $70 from performancepeddler.com

then decide if you want the tsudo coffee can muffler or replace with another type.

will likely end up being around$350 after the labor costs of welding and all that.

now you have a mandrel bent stainless exhaust.
[/quote]

uhmm... sounds like a lot of beating around the bush for a brand that i haven't even heard of. looks like a decent set, but i cant find it anywhere near that cheap. everything on ebay is closer to 200 dollars and most of the stuff that says 150~160 has a buttload of shipping. iono..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts