Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I completely solved the rear cupping on my 2007 hatch by setting rear toe to zero, after ballasting the car on the rack for our combined weight. Frankly, I was surprised it worked, but it's fine now.
That doesn't even make sense given the suspension geometry. The last time I had my car on the alignment machine I observed that the rear wheels toe in and the front ones toe out as the suspension is compressed meaning that, if anything, you should be getting cupping on the outer edge of the rear tire, not the inner. My tires also don't seem to be cupping despite using the factory alignment settings.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
That doesn't even make sense given the suspension geometry. The last time I had my car on the alignment machine I observed that the rear wheels toe in and the front ones toe out as the suspension is compressed meaning that, if anything, you should be getting cupping on the outer edge of the rear tire, not the inner. My tires also don't seem to be cupping despite using the factory alignment settings.
On my 2009 (which I used the factory alignment specs for the duration) I noticed tread design (and probably tread compound) was what made the difference between cupping and not. The Yokohama Avid Envigor tires (with a directional tread pattern) I put on the car shortly after it rolled off the showroom floor had cupped and become very noisy within the first 10,000 miles of driving. I yanked those tires and replaced them with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7s (with a non-directional tread pattern) and they were still quiet after 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Both my winter and summer tires are directional (Hankook Ventas V2 Concept and General Altimax Artic) and I haven't really noticed any unusual wear on them.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Then maybe it is simply tread compound.
Tire construction, and edge block design are bigger factors. I sold and installed tires for 5 years and have seen plenty of issues. Some tires would wear unevenly no matter what vehicle you put them on. Michelin seemed to have the least issues with uneven wear. BF Goodrich on the other hand was horrible. It seemed that the stiffer the tread plies were the more likely the tires were to have uneven wear.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Tire construction, and edge block design are bigger factors. I sold and installed tires for 5 years and have seen plenty of issues. Some tires would wear unevenly no matter what vehicle you put them on. Michelin seemed to have the least issues with uneven wear. BF Goodrich on the other hand was horrible. It seemed that the stiffer the tread plies were the more likely the tires were to have uneven wear.
Prior to the Acura TL which I purchased last May, the last time I had BFGoodrich tires on a car was my 1970 Challenger which I shod with the (then) unequaled BFGoodrich Radial T/A (which raised white lettering on the sidewalls). The BFGoodrich tires on my TL have cupped like crazy and will be gone in the next month or two.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Prior to the Acura TL which I purchased last May, the last time I had BFGoodrich tires on a car was my 1970 Challenger which I shod with the (then) unequaled BFGoodrich Radial T/A (which raised white lettering on the sidewalls). The BFGoodrich tires on my TL have cupped like crazy and will be gone in the next month or two.
Fun fact, as far as I know you can still order the Radial T/A, raised white lettering and all. Let me guess, the tires on your TL are the H or V rated Advantage T/As and the center wore out first and inner edge is cupped.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Madmatt,

Since you've worked with tires, how do these rate that we have on our cars? All but the Falcons we bought in 2017. When my son bought his Mazda3 2 years ago it had one pair of new Falcon Pro G4 A/S on it, so we bought another pair so that he'd have four matching new tires.

Other cars:
Ford Explorer - Michelin Premier LTX
Mazda 3 (daughter's car) - Pirelli Cinturato P7
Ford Focus - Michelin Premier A/S

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Fun fact, as far as I know you can still order the Radial T/A, raised white lettering and all. Let me guess, the tires on your TL are the H or V rated Advantage T/As and the center wore out first and inner edge is cupped.
The tires so far seem to have pretty even wear across the tread area, just cupped on the inner edges.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Madmatt,

Since you've worked with tires, how do these rate that we have on our cars? All but the Falcons we bought in 2017. When my son bought his Mazda3 2 years ago it had one pair of new Falcon Pro G4 A/S on it, so we bought another pair so that he'd have four matching new tires.

Other cars:
Ford Explorer - Michelin Premier LTX
Mazda 3 (daughter's car) - Pirelli Cinturato P7
Ford Focus - Michelin Premier A/S
Aside from the Falcons (mid range) those are all top of the line tires though I don't have long term expireance any of those. The Premier A/S came out shortly before I left so while I got to sell and install some sets I didn't get to see how they held up. The tires they replaced (Primacy MXV4) were really good tires though. The Premier LTX came out after I left so I have zero expireance with it though it seems to have the same tread pattern as the Premier A/S. The shop I worked in didn't sell Pirelli or Falcon so I don't really have any input on those. Where I work now we tend to sell a lot of General, Firestone, and Hankook tires with some Falcon and Uniroyals. I also just to the installing now.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts