Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My crusing RPM in 5th gear at 70mph is 3000 and at 80mph its 3500... is this what you guys get too? Just wondering cause my last car was about ~500-1000RPM below that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
that sounds about right. my old civic did about the same. love those high-revving japanese motors!

what was your last car?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it was a '90 Pontiac Grand Am

·
Registered
162 Posts
lazerasa said:
My crusing RPM in 5th gear at 70mph is 3000 and at 80mph its 3500... is this what you guys get too? Just wondering cause my last car was about ~500-1000RPM below that.
Same as mine.... zoom zoom.... Do not compare american, high torque, gaz guzzlers with small powerplants... it seems that we will have some more wear but what the heck? What matter most is the fun factor.... just got by a Mustang GT today passing by the outside of a long turn to get into Florida's turnpike... exciting and rewarding....

·
Registered
106 Posts
lazerasa said:
My cruising speed at 130kph (81mph) is about 3000rpm. For some reason Mazda choose to have the 2.0L slower at highway speeds :shock: .Probably for fuel economy since that would be a big concern with the buyers of this engine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
speedmaster said:
Same as mine.... zoom zoom.... Do not compare american, high torque, gaz guzzlers with small powerplants... it seems that we will have some more wear but what the heck? What matter most is the fun factor.... just got by a Mustang GT today passing by the outside of a long turn to get into Florida's turnpike... exciting and rewarding....
actually i'd say we get less wear, just based on the fact that japanese engines seem to last longer. maybe it has to do with constant stress (high revving) versus sporadic, intense stress (high torque). just a theory. and hate to burst your bubble, but your getting around a mustang gt was purely driver-related...a mustang gt can smoke our 3.

bman said:
My cruising speed at 130kph (81mph) is about 3000rpm. For some reason Mazda choose to have the 2.0L slower at highway speeds .Probably for fuel economy since that would be a big concern with the buyers of this engine.
yeah, i think the gear ratios in the 2.0 are taller, less sporty. have to check the specs, which i'm too lazy to do. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
[/quote]

....and hate to burst your bubble, but your getting around a mustang gt was purely driver-related...a mustang gt can smoke our 3.
[/quote]

Mustangs are good in straights...try to do "that" turn 80 mile per hour and you will be proud of your 3.... I'm not a bad driver but wouldn't do that difference... the car is awesome with some roll only in the edge.

·
Registered
157 Posts
a 'long turn' implied to me that it wasn't a sharp turn, which i totally agree is a strong point of our 3s. but since i don't know 'that' turn i guess i shouldn't have said anything. :)

it's just that i've driven my friend's mustang gt and that thing is a monster.

·
Registered
162 Posts
freston said:
a 'long turn' implied to me that it wasn't a sharp turn, which i totally agree is a strong point of our 3s. but since i don't know 'that' turn i guess i shouldn't have said anything. :)

it's just that i've driven my friend's mustang gt and that thing is a monster.
Yeah, a real "monster" indeed... too heavy but with a happy V8.. impossible to beat in the acceleration but very nice to eat in a long curve... yeah, our 3 rules... at least in some places. But you know, if you want to spend some 10k more you can go with a WRX STi and then you're talking business with the Mustang guys anywhere they might want. I didn't opt for it since the 10k would grow a lot just to pay driver's school and possibly some lawyers to help me with reckless driving :lol:

Cheers :arrow:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Having owned 3 Mustangs including one with a fairly well set up road course suspection the 3 can outhandle a typical Mustang no problem.

In my auto I know that my cruise RPMs are 3000RPM @ 100KPH. 110KPH is approximately 3200RPMs

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just went on the highway to test this..

100KM/h (~62MPH), I'm revving at 2700RPM
120KM/H I'm at 3000rpm

I have a Sedan GT 2.3L MT

these were taken with the cruise on, so literally, "cruising speed"

-- stokkes

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine was at 3250 RPM at 120 Km/hr (75 Mph)... seems a little higher than yours?

Anyone else?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a '90 Protege that does 4K at 80Mph... pretty high revved

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes.. at 100km/h should be 2750rpm and at 120km/h be 3250rpm

bman said:
lazerasa said:
My cruising speed at 130kph (81mph) is about 3000rpm. For some reason Mazda choose to have the 2.0L slower at highway speeds :shock: .Probably for fuel economy since that would be a big concern with the buyers of this engine.
Is ur engine the automatic tranny or the manual tranny?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
manual, and I'm talking about 5th gear numbers. Yours look the same as mine I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts