Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I priced out a new luggage cover B32H68310E02 for my 2005 mazda3 hatchback,
because I realized way after my dealer warranty expired that there is supposed to be one in the car.
(You get screwed over in the most unlikely of places at car dealerships, most likely they took it out and sold it on ebay.)

I'm sure as many of you know, and are chuckling about right now, a new luggage cover goes for around $462.47.

Sooo.... that sucks.

So I was thinking about maybe getting the measurements from anyone who has one and making one out of wood and giving it a nice stain. I have the skill in the wood shop to make it as light and possibly more attractive than the original... but I actually don't know anyone else with the same vehicle as me.

So I was thinking maybe someone could give me dimensions and pictures of the thing that I can compare with my interior measurements?

Let me know, and I'll post pictures of it completed.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Several were willing to sell theirs here: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=71657.0
I bet if you made a wanted to buy add in the classifieds, you'd get some hits- MUCH cheaper than from the factory.
If you really want to build it, I can see about getting some measurements later. I'm willing to assume it hasn't changed since then, or for the MS3.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
That flimsy piece of shit costs $460 +????????? HOLY CRAP :shock:

yeah, my dealer stole my cig lighter. I never thought to ask for it. Of course, its just a cig lighter, and I don't smoke. lol Sorry they jipped you like that

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Damn, $460! I sold mine for $60 shipped since it was lying around. And it cost about $50 in shipping from Boise, ID to Houston, TX.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just some thin plywood(cut to your specs) and some carpet wraped all the way around and on both sides to stop vibration and cut noise from trunk and spare compartment. nylon string may still be added to ends so it comes up when you open the hatch almost like the new ones. And if you have a mind to, you can add a little thicker plywood and add a bass speaker to the "cover" without sacrificing trunk room and a quick disconect still allows you to take the cover out. Whatever you do, don't forget to add pieces to your plywood to go into the "slots" so the unit won't slide back and forth. A snug fit is required and velcro can be added so as to prevent popping up with bumps(doesn't take much). The finished product looks very professional and is less "cheap looking"...OVER $400...WOW!

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
you're kidding right? the lightweight cover in the hatch that is connected to the lift gate with strings so it tilts up? 400 bucks?
the part # you gave sounds like the tool tray and covers...the stuff covering the spare.
"Rear body and floor - Interior trim - Pkg tray trim - Black"

i think you want the access cover, which should be around 50 bucks.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
[quote author=krazyk86cu link=topic=136194.msg2934060#msg2934060 date=1234534129]
That flimsy piece of shit costs $460 +????????? HOLY CRAP :shock:

yeah, my dealer stole my cig lighter. I never thought to ask for it. Of course, its just a cig lighter, and I don't smoke. lol Sorry they jipped you like that
[/quote]

I better be more careful with mine. :lol: I usually unhook it and drop it on the ground when I have to remove it.

I don't even know how the cig lighter works. :hide: But I don't smoke either, so I'm thinking about getting one of those 1/2 watt cig lighter flashlights from SuperBrightLEDs.com.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=John_in_the_LBC link=topic=136194.msg2935859#msg2935859 date=1234581381]
you're kidding right? the lightweight cover in the hatch that is connected to the lift gate with strings so it tilts up? 400 bucks?
the part # you gave sounds like the tool tray and covers...the stuff covering the spare.
"Rear body and floor - Interior trim - Pkg tray trim - Black"
[/quote]

I'd like to say thats true, but I've called several places and they all seem to point to the $400 range when I describe what it is I need...  the piece is apparently called the "Luggage Cover"
These guys seem to have it.. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=56463.0;topicseen

I'm going to ask around before I start building and see If I can get one for around 50-60 but otherwise, I think Ill make something fancy with some nice wood...  I have some walnut and oak panels that I could use... i think a dark stain would go nicely with my faux  black leather interior.

I did go to a used car dealer this weekend and they let me put a measuring tape on one...  ( I offered him 60 bucks for the piece but he knew the game already.)  so I have the dimensions now, but it does have a lip that hangs down to cover the cargo area completely that I wont be able to reproduce with wood unless I steam it, and I don't have the time nowadays.
Scooter, did you happen to do this and do you have any pics?

So if anyone does have one lying around for sale I'd be willing to negotiate!
I wonder if there's any change in the piece from 2005 to now???  It seemed like the 2009 one fit in my car pretty well... any notice of a radical redesign in between? I think not but, does hurt to ask.

·
theykickedmeoffnasioc
15,460 Posts
[quote author=TEXNTHREE link=topic=136194.msg2934152#msg2934152 date=1234536760]
Damn, $460! I sold mine for $60 shipped since it was lying around. And it cost about $50 in shipping from Boise, ID to Houston, TX.
[/quote]
And I thank you for it :)

and yeah, just go post a WTB thread. I got 3 or 4 hits in the first couple days on mine.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
gawd! i guess you are correct on that price :shock:
at least they sell for a little less than msrp. i wonder if anyone is gonna be pissed that they sold theirs cheap. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts