Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this annoying slight creak noise when I hit bumps that is right by my ear. Sounds like it is coming from the pillar where the upper seat belt goes. Anyone else ever have a creak there?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Got it myself now. Very annoying.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
although i realize it is trite to compare sounds, i too recently developed this. does it increase at all with a bit more vibration and speed/wind?

i've also got one around the driver's side of the upper dash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=biped link=topic=65662.msg1126223#msg1126223 date=1167508162]
although i realize it is trie to compare sounds, i too recently developed this. does it increase at all with a bit more vibration and speed/wind?

i've also got one around the driver's side of the upper dash.
[/quote]

yes, if I'm driving on the highway I will get it much more often. Sometimes its a faint crack noise like the plastics are moving and other times it will be louder. I live in California and we have the white discs between lanes on the highway and I get the crack noise almost every time I change lanes. If I'm driving in the city then its when I hit bumps on the road.

I have some cracking on the dash, but not nearly as often. To me it sounds like it comes from the radio area, maybe a little higher. That doesn't annoy me nearly as much as the B pillar crack noise though. THAT IS SERIOUSLY ANNOYING. Sometimes I get so pissed off when it doesn't stop and keeps cracking like every 2 secs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got this creak too.. Initally, I thought it was coming from the seat belt area, but I later found that it is actually from the inside of the door trim. Its quite random when it is making the noise. I'm getting Mazda to check it out this week.

Sammy

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just digging up this old thread because I investigated this myself. I suspected it was seat belt components so I disassembled the panels and thought it was the top seat belt anchor bracket. I fabricated a rubber bushing to take some play out of it. This tightened the height adjustment. Unfortunately that wasnt it. The sound persists. For guys without side airbags there is nothing behind there to make noise. It sounds like its just the trim.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
yeah i never found out what it was, at first i thought it was the seatbelt height adjuster, sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the driver's window sill.

i know for a fact that the radio makes noise--just push it "in" a nudge and it makes the noise.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a new theory that it is the seat belt pretensioner and the it sounds like it is at ear level only because thats where the opening is. Others have reported it is the tensioner as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts