Mazda3 Forums banner

Crazy shop estimate

5K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  222speed3 
#1 ·
Shop tells me that my swaybar links and bushings are shot. Okay...I think wth, may as well get the upgrade I wanted.
So I ask to have the shocks and struts replaced, along with new swaybars.

They quote me (all mazdaspeed OEM)
Front swaybar links: 158.68
Front Swaybar Bushings: 71.38
Labor 225.93

Rear Shocks (2): 176.12
Labor 147.35

Rear Swaybar links and bushings:
Links 146.80
Bushings: 67.18
Labor 88.99

Front Struts:
Struts (269 each): 539.82
Labor: 196.46

4 wheel alignment: 79.

total with shop supplies and tax is 2053.07!!!!

Are these guys totally high on crack???

I did a bit of preliminary searching and am having no problem finding a hotchkiss anti-sway bar kit, but not the links. Bushings are coming with the kit.

Anyone have a suggestion as to where I can buy the parts mentioned above? I will put the crap on myself and take it in for an alignment...No way this is supposed to cost 2000 bucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just as an FYI, the hotchkis setup is not at all something you'd want on the street. It's the stiffest you can purchase. And as a heads up, that means it is the least safe. I would hugely not advise purchasing it unless you plan on doing autox or other HPDE events.

Buy the bushes yourself, they won't cost $60 per set, endlinks I can see that price, but you can get some cheaper if you're just going for OEM... or DIY some for $20-30 front and rear.

If it's the labor you're afraid of on the FSB, it makes sense to me.

You have to lower the front subframe.
It's not a fast and easy job.

It's possible to do it without (unless you're swapping the bar as well), but it's tight, and for a shop, would make it more difficult.

2 hours shop labor cost on the rear shocks? I think not though; that's a 15 minute job on a lift at most, unless something goes wrong...

Everything, yes it's high, but not "insane".

The labor here is the issue.

2 hours on FSB
3 hours on front shock/spring
2 hours on rear struts
1 hour on alignment
___
8 hours

Garage time with friends that'd be a 6 hour job, with lots of pizza and beer in-between, otherwise only a 4 hour job when pushing it.

As far as items go; they're about 2-1.5x normal price, which is.. technically about normal for most shop sales.

#8 ·
CorkSport apparently has everything i need except those rear sway bar support...
Front sway bar
Rear Sway bar
Front sway bar links
Shocks and struts
Springs
And...
Replacement turbo and higher flow rate fuel pump.
Accessport tuner..
Needs...what am I missing to finish the suspension upgrade, what am I missing for the turbo upgrade...
And finally...anyone know a great S Florida shop where I can get all this work completed???

#9 ·
I always stick to the simple/safe rules of repair. Buy either: (1) what your buddy got and works, (2) what has numerous safe reviews, (3) big name brand, or brand you had before that you know works.
Sometimes paying even 25% more may save the frustration of having to redo the repair, or merely to rid any paranoia when driving with a part you know is quality.

As for labor, I redid my entire alignment with 1 friend on my last car. We did it in about 5ish hours, with pizza, and beer...and 20 degree weather slowing us down. And, its not really one of the most tedious/complicated of repairs either. But yes, as stated above, throwing the car up on the lift (among other Shop advantages) could almost cut that time in half.

#10 ·
It would be a true DIY job, hence the request for a shop. The corksport guy says that the turbo is a complete kit, and even gave ne the names of people who could provide proper mapping using a cobb tuner.

Considering it is 100 degrees in the shade right now i would really prefer to pay a pro instead of dying from heatstroke.
Really wnt to BORROW the acessport...

#11 ·
Better get your sweat on and save some cash.

Just got done knocking out a oil pump removal on the Wife's civic to fix the oil leak.

Sweated my ass off, but the leak is fixed and I saved about 1000 bucks.

Recommendation: Get a fan

If I still got the speed and it comes time to rebuild I hope it is easier than the damn civic.

Actually the only hard part was breaking the crankshaft bolt loose.

This was my first timing belt change as well. Was a fun run and learned a lot.

Civic is running great. So is the speed :smile2:. It is time for the suspension on my speed as well. Right side is noisy since the last pot hole got me.

My next project is the speeds suspension. I will have a shop replace the shocks and struts most likely. Pain in the ass without a lift.

Did my acura at a hobby shop and they had the spring compression assembly tool. Also used a lift.

#13 ·
I feel ya man. I am possibly looking to trade in now. My front dash has a crack in the middle now. This was a TSB issue. Not looking forward to more issues myself. Was planning on keeping it going but not sure now.
Possibly going to step it down for a bit. Like the CX-3 a lot. On the slow end but like just about everything about it except the engine.
Prob take it slow for a bit then go turbo again.
The new mazda 3 is growing on me as well. Would have to go s tho. Saw a white one with grey rims today and damn it looked good. Wish the CX-3 had more power but I think I might just rock it anyway. Wife and I would share. i got a new rav4 for the company vehicle that I can use for personal use as well. So prob just pass to her when I decide to go turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.