Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was heading northbound on a road in hinckley, ohio. no snow, no (apparent) ice on the road, turned left on a street that has a sudden sharp decline about 10-20 feet and was not plowed or de-iced at all. my momentum carried me where i didnt want to be... near the ditch, and as soon as it started going in, there was no stopping it. very slow, steady "crash" if i had stopped one foot shorter, i wouldnt have done too much damage, but my bumper decided to eskimo kiss a street sign, and being 0 degrees out... the plastic bumper decided to shatter in the front right corner. sux.
cop showed up and cited me for "failure to control" i asked why and got "because we gotta send someone out to fix the sign". which is only slightly leaning no farther that that> /. whatever...
definitely will need a new front bumper. power steering wasnt working on the drive home. alignment didnt seem off... who knows what kinda damage under the hood. hopefully none. my books that were on my seats didnt even slide forward or fall off the seat, it was that slow... sigh...

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
That sucks. I'd fight the ticket. Sure you didn't control your vehicle, but the circumstances were rather out of your control (IE a small section or road not plowed or salted and night and you were already going slowly).
-Matt

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I finally agree that yes, this is a ticket someone should fight.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
On second thought, you didn't really "lose" your mazda3, but I'm sticking to my guns! I'm not gonna move it again and get people all messed up on where to read your thread.

Sorry for any confusion!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea, i better not have lost it! :shock:

called insurance today. should be fine. i just pay my deductable ($500) and it should be all taken care of. i'm taking it to a body shop just a few blocks from my dealer. they were actually recommended to me by my dealer as their bodyshop as well, so i figure thats prolly a good place to go. they're on the approved list with my insurance, so i dont have to worry about waiting for an estimate to go through or anything.
i def. think i'll be fighting that ticket. seriously, i can push that sign back up straight with my own two hands. and if i am correct, i think 'failure to control' is a moving violation which means points. screw that...
i'll post up some pics here soon...

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
started her up. seems ok, maybe a little louder/unhappy sounding in the engine... but that could just be me worrying. power steering fluid container and washer fluid container look broken which would explain why i didnt have power steering while driving home after being pulled out, passenger side fog light shattered. rims seem fine. underbody seems ok, nothing hanging off. tons of snow jammed into my front grill, lower engine bay area...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
[quote author=manny link=topic=134464.msg2901657#msg2901657 date=1233363582]
time to get an aftermarket front bumper! :lol:
[/quote]

if you go aftermarket check with your insurance companies cause if you get one and then something like this happens again then they don't "have" to cover it. from my understanding if the aftermarket product is more expensive then the stock one then they will only pay you for what a stock one would have cost them. don't hold this against me though. thats just what my agent told me the other day when i was at her office.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thats actually exactly what i was thinking, i thought, i might as well turn this around and look at aftermarket stuff. i cant find anything that i like all that much though... anyone have any suggestions? :p

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i like that bumper on the sedan, not so much on the hatch (dabear2K doesnt make it for hatch, but i think someone else might). oh well. i'm sending her off to the bodyshop today.

the good news, since they will be replacing the front bumper:
-i get the slight sideswipe incident taken care of (second day i owned the car, someone clipped my front end and drove off)
-i get a few really bad rock chips gone.
-since they will be using my paint code, i'm going to have them paint match the fuel door (the one with the rivets around it)
-i'm having them NOT drill the license plate mount onto the front bumper (no holes to fill like last time!)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oo! and i got them to agree to put on my hotchkis front sway bar for 50 bucks. i've had that thing FOREVER and just never put it on because of the work involved... this is turning out ok :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WHOO HOO!

car's back! and better than ever :)

they
installed my hotchkis front sway bar NO EXTRA CHARGE
paint matched my fuel door NO EXTRA CHARGE
no more front plate bumper holes!

bumper looks great! brand new splash shielding all over! and they included some left over touch up paint.

today is a good day. so much for friday the 13th being bad luck!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts