Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time since we've owned our 06 3 this issue has occurred. Car starts and runs fine all the time and then when you least expect it... get in and try to start it and it just cranks over and over and never fires.

Last night I was trying to move the car off the street into our driveway and it happened. Tried 3 times just letting it crank for 5-10 seconds and it would not start. Then the 4th time I pumped the gas peddle which worked the first time this started and lo and behold after about 10 seconds of cranking and me working the peddle it slowly sputtered to life.

This morning I go out there and hook up my code reader and ... no codes. Try to start it and it starts right up..?? I've searched and there's lots of threads about this exact problem with no resolutions.

I just don't see how a car of this day and age can not start but have no codes!

Anyone found out what the real problem is yet?

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
When it finally cranks (after giving it gas and throttle), does it run/idle fine? Or does it kind of sputter back out? If it sputters back out, it could be an issue with the Idle Air Control Valve. Not sure if our cars have this (I'd assume they do), but I just replaced the IAC valve on my future mother-in-laws Expedition that was having a similar problem.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
How old is the car?

Sounds most likely something related to fuel; especially if using the pedal works (which isn't something you should normally do when starting a fuel injected car).

If it starts with the pedal depressed some, it could be some electrical fault with the injectors.

Was the pedal fully depressed?
If it was depressed it could've just been entering clear flood mode.

"pumping" a fuel injected car shouldn't do anything (as opposed to not pumping)

Throttle position sensor maybe?

The list goes on, it's hard to know without trying different things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I didn't get an email for some reason so I didn't realize you had responded.

Once it finally sputters and starts it runs perfect. It's just getting it to start that's the hard part.

I agree using the peddle should not be necessary and shouldn't do much of anything with fuel injection but it seems to wake something up. I'm not flooring it, I just pump it half way or so. If it ever does it again when I'm around I'll have to experiment and maybe give the throttle one full pump to the floor while it's off and then crank it again and see if it does anything.

I also agree about the could be the TPS or IAC but with no codes..?? It's driving me nuts.

I just realized not only am I not getting emails but my signiture info is gone. What the ??? It's an 06 with around 70K on it now.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It sounds like the throttle position solenoid at the gas pedal might be faulty, or have an internittent short; where it is not telling the ECU the position of the plate in the TB.

Sometimes this can happen with no codes. Also difficult to pinpoint as well.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Based on what you said, I'm guessing it's NOT my suggestion of the IAC. If it were the IAC, you would need to keep pressure on the throttle to keep it from stalling after start-up. If it runs normally after start-up, IAC wouldn't be the culprit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening everyone,

Found this thread after my 2011 Mazda 3 sedan did just what was described here. This morning I started it with no issue and moved it out onto the driveway. This evening, I was looking to put the car back in the garage and then this occurred. I turn the ignition, it cranked and just wouldn't fire. After finding this thread, I went out tried again and still the same thing. Then I tried depressing the peddle half way, cranked it and after a little bit chugged its way back to life. Took it for a spin and no issues. Parked it back in the garage and fired it up 3 more times with zero issue.

I have 1 year left on my warranty, I fear that I'll take it there and they'll come back with found nothing. In my experience dealers love to avoid warranty work where possible.

Wondering if you found a solution or if this problem just stopped happening.

Thanks!

thanks for the ideas. I'll keep them in mind. Yep, it's tough to figure out with no codes and only happening once in a great while.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Evening everyone,

Found this thread after my 2011 Mazda 3 sedan did just what was described here. This morning I started it with no issue and moved it out onto the driveway. This evening, I was looking to put the car back in the garage and then this occurred. I turn the ignition, it cranked and just wouldn't fire. After finding this thread, I went out tried again and still the same thing. Then I tried depressing the peddle half way, cranked it and after a little bit chugged its way back to life. Took it for a spin and no issues. Parked it back in the garage and fired it up 3 more times with zero issue.

I have 1 year left on my warranty, I fear that I'll take it there and they'll come back with found nothing. In my experience dealers love to avoid warranty work where possible.

Wondering if you found a solution or if this problem just stopped happening.

Thanks!
You're right, if they can't confirm the problem they won't start tearing things apart. If something is actually failing, it will happen again, and presumably increase in frequency. THEN bring it to the dealer (preferably with at least 2 months of warranty left). In the meantime, you could try to figure out how to reproduce it.

You could also try taking a video of it next time it happens, just in case your dealer is really putting up a fight and won't do anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Did anyone ever solve this issue, my girls car did the same thing this morning. Its an 07 mazda 3 with 111k, cars been great all its life and then for the first time this morning crank but no fire. Had it towed and it started after playing with the gas pedal like previously mentioned and now no issue to be found, spark plugs look good, air filter is good, i can hear the fuel pump working in the tank, not sure where to go any new input?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Mazda3 2.0L 145,000 miles never did have an issue until now and the same thing happened to me. after reading these comments I decided to go try starting by pressing the gas pedal and low and behold it started to fire and after cranking about 15 to 20 seconds it started. drove it around the block and it runs fine. came back home, shut it off then started it back up. no issues and never did get a check engine light. Anybody know why this is happening? I would have never thought to pump the gas because of it being fuel injected... TIA

1 - 11 of 11 Posts