Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone know the crankcase breather hose ? the hard plastic hose that runs from the back of the valve cover to the intake ? i was bored today and just cleaning out my car, detailed under the engine bay, vacuumed and what not...and i decided to take my intake off and clean the throtle body...and i said to myself, that breather hose that lets blow by gasses out of the crankcase must get sludgy and dirty. my car is an 07 and this is the first time ive done this, i disconnected the breather hose on both ends and took it off...i took a rubber fuel line hose and stuck it on one end of the breather hose, and blew air through it very fast...so much gunky sludge came out of it...i figured maybe it could be gettin clogged up...i then poured seafoam into it and blew it out through the other end...holy jesus that hose was spitting so much gunk and oil sludge..i repeated several times until it was fully clean..i wiped everything off and reinstalled onto the intake...the hose gets really dirty man. my car has been running very smooth, however after this its running even SMOOTHER that i didnt even know it could have. check yours out

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not such a good idea..the whole point of that line is to release the negative pressure inside the case..if u don't have the hose connected, even with a breather filter on it, too much pressure will build up and the car won't run well..my car runs like shit if I do that. I keep the hose on..just clean it every once in a while

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know this is a super old post but it came up in a search. What would be wrong with leaving the hose on and running it open ended to anywhere other than the intake and welding or plugging where the hose conects to the intake? I just installed an Injen CAI, and see a lot of people putting breather filters on rather than running the vacuum hose on speed 3s and speed 6s, but not the normal 3's and 6's. Is there a reason for that? I dont like the idea of putting waste gasses into my intake, but the breather filter doesnt seem like a common mod on the 3, although it is in some instructional videos for SRI installation. So, consensus on the 3? Breather filter or vacuum hose?

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
it's not waste gasses, it's pressure relief from the head. It blows oil mostly, so a filter just sitting there, just soaks up oil, and doesn't really have anywhere to go... except a hot manifold I suppose.
Also, just because a speed owner does it, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts