Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - looking for some insight from the hive about an issue that has come up with the 2006 Mazda 3 S 2.3L sedan (automatic) that I purchased just over 2 weeks ago for my college age son. Other than the issue in question, the car is in excellent shape inside and out, especially considering the 120k miles on it. It had one female owner, very well maintained, no accidents and detailed/regular maintenance logs (none of which pertained to the issue at hand). Drives excellent, no idle issues, no weird noises, etc.

Issue: After a week or so of "perfect" performance, the car periodically now will crank as usual, but not start. However, if I just turn the key off and attempt to start again, it fires right up without a hiccup. 8 times out of 10 the car will start without issue. Every so often though (at random times of day/random periods of non-use, although no more than overnight) the car will crank as it should (no sputtering, no clicking or any other unwanted noises), but just won't start on that initial attempt. Turning it off and then attempting to restart, it'll fire up as it should and sound and behave as it should. No issues at all while driving.

Dash lights all illuminate during start up process as normal (no blinking security light, no Check Engine Light and Park indicator is also normal).

Brought it to AutoZone...had the battery and alternator checked. Both good to go/no issues. Interstate battery is 1 year old. They checked for codes...none.

All I have done to the car so far is replace the spark plugs and air filter and dumped a bottle of STP Ultra 5-in-1 Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank. All the symptoms I described above occurred before and after doing those things.

Any helpful insights and observations would be GREATLY appreciated! I have faith in the collective genius of the Zoom Zoom community!

Thanks to all.... Mark

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you pulled the spark plugs to check for build-up or wear? I think the stock plugs are 100k mi plugs on the '06 (Iridium), so might be worth looking at.

Timing? Chain stretch?

How is the oil consumption? My 3 was going through 1 qt. every 10k miles at 115k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I changed the spark plugs. Normal wear/nothing out of the ordinary, but I changed them out anyway. Oil consumption seems normal so far. Unfortunately I'm not "automotively" inclined enough to dig into the drive train and timing.

Just trying to avoid going to dealership/mechanic and fall down the repair expense hole of them trying to figure what maybe causing an intermittent problem racking up major costs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Connect fuel pressure gauge see if pressure is low at no start and then climbs on second turn of key.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't cleaned the MAF sensor...will definitely get on that. Already replaced the air filter (issue occurred before and after replacement). Replaced the spark plugs with Autolite Iridium XP spark plugs (again, issue occurred both before and after replacement).

·
Registered
189 Posts
try turning to when the red lights come on dash without trying to start
then turn off
then start as normal
i am thinking possibly losing fuel pressure overnight
as cj1 mentioned

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, I will try that. However, the issue randomly occurs whether it sits in the garage overnight or just after running into the grocery store and then attempting to start the car. So it's completely random when the issue occurs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Connect fuel pressure gauge see if pressure is low at no start and then climbs on second turn of key.
This is the way to go. I just replaced my fuel pump for this very reason. In my opinion, this is the best place to start. This is something you can do yourself if you're motivated and moderately handy. BTW, I'm in Cincy too so maybe I can help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts