Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance, I'm generally a Jeep guy and dont know much about these hi-tech cars. I was installing my AuxMod today and noticed this...

Crappy pic, but it looks a little dirty in there.

I'm assuming that is the breather for my CC, right? My guess is if it is supposed to be connected to the air intake, then it was left off by the last grease monkey under my hood. I reconnected it, but just wanted to make sure I was supposed to. It doesn't really "lock" in at all to let you know it's seated. Can someone verify that it is supposed to be attached to the intake and appears to be seated properly?

TIA

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
ur missing something... theres a plastic piece that goes between the black house and whatever it needs to go on.. assuming thats the part it needs to go on, theres a blue plastic thing that locks it down.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
I'm surprised your car actually ran without that hose hooked up :? If the hose is unhooked, then you've got a big gaping hole in your intake tube after the MAF sensor, so would've thought you'd be seeing a CEL almost immediately, not to mention idling and running like crap. Unless the grease monkeys who left the hose off plugged up the hole in your intake for some reason? Strange...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It did idle rough, but no CEL. The only person that's been under there has been goodyear for oil changes and the dealer for warranty work. Last warranty work was for the motor mounts. I cant imagine it would need to be touched for an oil change. The cover is pretty far away from there. Is this the breather for the crankcase? I'm just trying to evaluate what damage could have been done by sucking in dirty air. I guess an oil chage is in order.

Is something supposed to clip or slide into here to lock the two pieces together?

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is the breather for the crank case. Yes, there is a blue plastic piece that slides inside the black plastic fitting. When slid together the blue plastic piece clicks (locks) together the fittings. Maybe the dealer disconnected it for the motor mount work and forgot to reconnect it. Bring it to there attention the next time it is in for service.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Should there really be any detrimental effects? I know people that get those little filters and just straight vent their crank case and don't run the tube back to the intake.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
[quote author=TGhatch link=topic=71073.msg1249347#msg1249347 date=1173109323]
It is the breather for the crank case. Yes, there is a blue plastic piece that slides inside the black plastic fitting. When slid together the blue plastic piece clicks (locks) together the fittings. Maybe the dealer disconnected it for the motor mount work and forgot to reconnect it. Bring it to there attention the next time it is in for service.
[/quote]Should look more like this...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2549000-2549999/2549143_6_full.jpg

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Looks like i'll be stopping by the dealer on Saturday. Those bastards better not charge me $20 for it, assuming they even have it in stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts