Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I developed a crack in my windshield due to a stone chip that I didn't notice. I have a zero deductible on my glass, so price is not a factor. I was wondering if I should replace it with the OEM Sekurit or PPG. First, the Mazda3 does not have any kind of Mazda logo on it like some other cars do. Second, the PPG actually has a sunstrip at the top unlike the OEM Sekurit. I had considered getting a tint bar at the top of my windshield before so that might not be a bad way to go. The dot matrix pattern and everything else is exactly the same.

Does anyone have experience with PPG? Does it seal well? Is it just as good or better glass? I can demand the Sekurit if need be.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sekurit is not stocked by any glass company that I could find. It is a special order from the dealer. I think I will have it ordered. Wanna guess on the price??? :roll:

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$462.65 for the Sekurit glass. I just had it ordered. Plus, I had them order one with a tinted sunstrip at the top. Should be here in 3-4 days. Dealer did not have to agree to State Farms' pricing but the body shop guy adjusted their price so that it was the same. Great dealership!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow that's pricy! But I would've done the same thing...go OEM or go home! haha

According to their website Safelite wants $265.95 to replace a windshield, but that's more than likely the junky no-name glass they usually use.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I know. Funny because I had a glass shop use OEM Sekurit brand glass when my rear driver's side window broke but they could not get the windshield. :dunno: Like I said, I didn't know whether or not to get the OEM one with the tinted sun strip at the top, but I decided to go for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been told it cost so much b/c of the rain sensor.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I have read that too, but I understood that the rain sensor is actually sandwiched between the inside of the windshield and the rear view mirror. I think it says that in the manual. OEM glass is SEKURIT which is a French-owned company. I dunno. I really didn't care if it costed $1k, as long as my insurance paid for it, which they did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts