Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car in for an oil change today, and the service advisor showed me a splash plate that goes under the car, to keep crap from splashing up into the engine bay. Anyway, mine was cracked and had a big chunk missing. He figured it was from hitting snow in very cold weather. The first week I had my car, I did hit a chunk of ice, and a couple days after had them check the underside to make sure there was no damage. They didn't find any then. So now I'm wondering if they could have tightened it down to much when replacing the front impact sensor while dealing with my airbag problem, which might have caused the initial crack. No way to prove this of course, but out of curiousity, does anyone know where the sensor is located, and if that splash guard has to be removed to get at it? They had it off for the oil change (the service guy brought it into the waiting room).
It's a $117 part to replace, which isn't a real big deal, but I haven't driven in any deep snow, or heard anything hit the bottom of my car since that first incident.
Tyler

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
damn cats.....

hasta :p

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Just looking at that flimsy plate you can be sure that this will break eventually with the winters we have. My mechanic at my tuning shop when he lifted the 3 for the first time said...."that front splash plate is going to break easily from an impact"

·
Registered
89 Posts
$117? oh good haha my plate is broken..1 cornner broke and its hanging there....

i'll bhave to bring it in when i have time. right now i just have it tied back on with a piece of string heh

·
Registered
95 Posts
Broke mine today hiting a big ice chunk on highway 13... 117$ is for the part only, labour not included ?

winter, winter, winter... I still like it 8)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
damn, that's pricey for that piece. I hope that price includes labor.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Same thing with me when I went in for an oil change.

They said it was $159 labor included to replace it, but I told them i'm going to wait on it.

He said it isn't really necessary.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put up a post a while ago asking if anybody had a splash plate machined/custome made out of say aluminum.

I wish somebody would make one of these aftermarket rather than another bloody body kit or exhaust. But I am much more an all go and no show kind of guy.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Try this place http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=3299&siteid=213989&catalog=3299 it's Showcase Mazda out of Phoenix. I just called their parts people and the part # is BP4K56111L and it costs 90 bucks for the part.as for labor it sounds like they are treating you right if that price includes labor. you can do it with only a 8mm and 10mm socket. a lot of bolts (i think around 10 or so can't remember) and a jack and jack stands (remember to put your e brake on). very easy unless you don't have a garage to do it in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Went for an oil change last week - they had to replace my splash plate. ~$159 (inc labour)

How many people out there have had this thing break? I don't remember running over anything that might cause it to crack since my last oil change. Odd.

·
Registered
866 Posts
maybe its a cheap splash plate, i have never heard so many people with a splash plate problem before.

·
Registered
355 Posts
mine is also broken but I was able to pop in the broken part that was loose.

It's still very cracked and torn but at least it doesnt sag... probably at the first bump it will come down lol

cheap-ass part, I am definitely not replacing it. Not for 160$

·
Registered
504 Posts
Can someone get a pic of where/how it looks? I'm interested to see how this looks...

Also, is there really a risk in not using it? it's not like dirt will get in anything, everything is sealed safely, right?

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I replaced mine already. It's only 7 bolts (10 mm) and 2 plastic clips, for those interested. If you have a set of ramps, a 10 mm nut driver, and a flat-head screwdriver, you're all set. It should take no more than 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The only risk of not using it is an engine bay full of crap, water etc. Not good for all the parts or looks in the long
run. I guess you poor buggers that live in snow infested areas :) might be better off keeping it on too! Cant imagine how it would look under there after a season of snow, salt and crap being thrown around in there.

Cheers!

[quote author=traytot link=topic=2460.msg335282#msg335282 date=1120508931]
Can someone get a pic of where/how it looks? I'm interested to see how this looks...

Also, is there really a risk in not using it? it's not like dirt will get in anything, everything is sealed safely, right?
[/quote]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Man,

I put a post up about this during the winter and only got about 3 hits.

Don't waste your money, Mazda is replacing these for free since they are flying off pretty regularly due to weak screws or something like that. Anyway I didn't pay a dime.

Check this link to my previous thread and hit up your dealers with the number I reference.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=15976.msg212253#msg212253

Regards,

Punchy

·
Registered
504 Posts
Punchy.. did you find a pdf for the service bulletin? I want to print this out for safe-keeping. I'm sure the code is enough but it's faster if I go to the dealer with the bulletin at hand. I've heard of events where the dealer simply denies service, plays ignorance, etc... Hardcopy proof would be hard to argue with

1 - 20 of 31 Posts