Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I did 3 mods...

Intake Res Delete
Gnd the TB
and Advanced Ignition Timing

Couple Questions:
1: It seems that I have lost a little bit of pull in my higher gears, 4th and 5th...though it may be because they are no more linear but it seemed to me that it had a little bit more of a jump than before.
2. Could this be because i did not reset my ECU properly and it hasnt learned yet. (I unplugged the battery for like 20 mins or so)
3. Anyone else have any pointers as to maximize the little things, oh and im running 89 octane gas now...might try 93 at next fill up.

I plan on doing TB bypass this weekend, then whenever the simotas come in I got my CAI coming...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
20 mins is fine. you should notice a smoother pull throughout the power band, not sure why you think you lost some top-end. if anything, advancing the timing adds to the top end. maybe just give the ecu time to adjust, if you haven't already. do a couple WOT pulls and then some normal cruising.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
you dont need to run 93

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
removing the resonator might slow you down a tad in the low ranger, but it shouldn't affect top-end at all.

and like 415 said, no need at all to run 93. stick with 89 or lower.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright, well ive drivin in after these for like 150 miles or so...but we shall see...oh the CAI should be on the way eventually...will that restore the res delete loss?

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
yes it will, but the res-delete loss of low end is really only noticeable on a hot day if it injests air from the engine bay after you've been motionless. it is so minute it is almost a placebo.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So what do you think is causing this lack of pep...

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha you want to send me the funds/the kit sure...hahaha

ok soo after i get the CAI the gains should be more noticable...i guess for now ill survive haha

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your loss of pep at the high end may be explained by your advanced timing mod.

Advancing the timing may move the torque curve down a bit - more torquey at lower rpm at the expense of torque at the high rpm

Techno said:
By advancing the timing by 4 degrees it has the effect of delivering torque at 2,600 rpm that would normally be realised at 3,000 rpm. Of course, it has also been noted that top end torque is adversely impacted in about the same ratio.
That quote is extracted from here

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright well now i know...ill have to mess around with it a little bit to benefit the most...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
When I did the timing mod I noticed that something had changed for the better. At the time I was running reg gas. Thats like what, 87? (I usually never look at anything but which pump is open) When I switched to 89 two tanks later I noticed a decrease in "power".

Removing the Intake resinator is not going to cause your car to act slow enough for you to notice. After removing mine in the summer of last year the car felt more free. Granted this was almost 90% placebo effect, I felt no loss in power though. Realistically, removing the intake resinator is not going to hurt you no matter what the weather is like. Both a cool air and stock are still in the engine compartment, stitting there on a hot day at a red light. I mean with all the weather sheilds you're only looking at what, MAYBE a 10 degree difference at the most between the stock location and a cai 10 inches away. Both are going to suffer to some degree when you first get going. Maybe one more than the other. BUT, once the car is moving the air circulates better and thats when it really makes no difference....Temperature wise. Now which one flows air better? I would prob. go for the cai.

~Saint

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CAI is coming,

and next tank ill run 87 again...havent done that with the ignition timing...hopefully that will help!!

thanks saint

-Kevin

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Trust me, it's the intake res delete - it affects ALL ends. :lol: I've done the dyno - it was designed with a purpose. Either get a CAI, SRI, or leave it alone. Also don't use over 89 octane unless you're car is HIGHLY modded and tuned for it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
LC, How much of an decrease did you notice? Wouldn't a SRI show just about the same as a stock intake with the resinatior delete Temperature wise? Considering that both will be grabbing air from almost the exact same area?

Haha sorry for all the questions.

~Saint

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good questions though none the less

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Yea I'm actually pretty interested on the dyno sheets so see how much power one would lose removing the intake resonator.

~Saint

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as am I, as am I, though it really doesnt matter too much, CAI should be here next month!!! :klavergreg:

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
[quote author=Saint link=topic=68878.msg1196757#msg1196757 date=1171028516]
LC, How much of an decrease did you notice? Wouldn't a SRI show just about the same as a stock intake with the resinatior delete Temperature wise? Considering that both will be grabbing air from almost the exact same area?

Haha sorry for all the questions.

~Saint
[/quote]

Good question - about a 3whp peak decrease and about 5wtq decrease in the 2k-3k range alone with removing the resonator vs. stock. If I remember correctly, I COULD tell the low-end was suffering a bit (remember it's torque that gives you that feeling of "pull"). As far as SRI's go, I was able to make the Injen CAI into a makeshift "SRI" for testing and it gave numbers that were closer to stock performance (except better throttle response) but remember it wasn't designed optimally to function like that and sat even closer to the engine because of the angle I had to put it in to make it fit that way. A properly designed SRI should show gains over stock numbers. We even did vacuum readings that confirmed that the "SRI" was operating much more efficiently than deleting the resonator (around 0.1-0.15 PSI extra almost throughout the whole RPM range). ODBII scanning showed the "SRI" pulling even warmer air than the res-delete and still out performing. I'll also add that this was all done while the car sat on the dyno - no unloading and restrapping to possibly throw off numbers. If that doesn't prove that it's a stupid mod (except to prep for a real intake swap), I don't know what will. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts