Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a cosworth intake for my 05 gt, I have heard that there is a fair amount of modifications required to make it work, on our motors.
Can anyone who has installed one tell me what needs to be done to make it work?

Thanks to Cain for the pics of the mods to the mani to make it fit.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think everyone wants to see before they drop $600 on one
-didnt wanna post another comment, but Im in the same boat Ive been wanting one now for a while but didnt wanna buy it without knowing how to modify it-

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen pics in some posts that guys have them on thier cars, just want to know whats involved, putting one on.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
there's not that much modification at all.

you have to drill a hole for one of the throttle body screws since our throttle body bolt pattern is slightly different than the focus and then you have to trim a piece on the side of the manifold which for the life of me i can't seem to remember the exact piece.

anyway, it's nothing overly complicated and may take 30 to 45 minutes to do. otherwise it's a direct bolt on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=BLACK MZ3 link=topic=140155.msg3021364#msg3021364 date=1238173078]
there's not that much modification at all.

you have to drill a hole for one of the throttle body screws since our throttle body bolt pattern is slightly different than the focus and then you have to trim a piece on the side of the manifold which for the life of me i can't seem to remember the exact piece.

anyway, it's nothing overly complicated and may take 30 to 45 minutes to do. otherwise it's a direct bolt on.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info black mz3, I did search some more & found more discussions,
SP Bling says the cel can be beat by taking the 2 sensors located on top of the original intake, unscrewing them, connect back into the harness, run a short piece of vacum hose between each sensor so the ecu sees constant pressure, shorten the pcv hose.
So it doesnt seem as scary to install as some people have made it out to be.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=goggles1226 link=topic=140155.msg3021487#msg3021487 date=1238176120]
but did they wire there ecu using a computer like xfc or something to that effect?
[/quote]

From what I am seeing,it can be run with no tune on the ecu, and as long as the sensors are modified, it should not throw a cel.runs lean above 5500rpm on the stock ecu. 1 guy is running a full standalone Microtech ecu and his car does feel better to him.
so it seems to be 50/50 on using a standalone or not, focussport does reccommend a software upgrade when installing this manifold, to take care of A/F issues, due to better airflow.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Xenon and cain had it on their cars someone shoot them a pm and see if they wanna throw in on this thread, I would but i'm on my phone

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
it will/wont throw a CEL depending on how you install it. it deletes the VTCS... but if you leave the actuator hooked you wont get a CEL.

·
Registered
742 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=140155.msg3022182#msg3022182 date=1238196911]
yea minor mod. to the mani
nothing hardcore
direct bolt on
will need a tune

imo pointless unless having some sort of force induction
[/quote]

sub....so what soft of forced induction do you have?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
[quote author=TheBlackBox link=topic=140155.msg3022182#msg3022182 date=1238196911]
nothing hardcore
direct bolt on
will need a tune

[/quote]

I wouldn't say its pointless. It would benefit you more if you have some form of EMS to tune it.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
pointless as in 600+bux for it
for a few hp
prob. worth while when tuned but its not gonna give hardcore power
it'll prob give better power with a port

[quote author=richierichness link=topic=140155.msg3022210#msg3022210 date=1238198132]
nothing hardcore
direct bolt on
will need a tune

[/quote]

sub....so what soft of forced induction do you have?
[/quote]was gonna built the motor and boost but lack of funds due to recession :(

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to Cain for sending a couple of pictures of the mods needed to make the mani fit

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
awesome!
you should put cains pics in the OP so when people come to your thread they dont have to scroll down to the bottom of the page, but great job getting them

1 - 20 of 101 Posts