Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Re: codsworth camshafts

no, no one has em

...and please change the title from "codsworth" to "cosworth".

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Re: codsworth camshafts

Which camshafts were you looking to get?

I tried to contact cosworth before to see if their parts are compatible with our engines , but never got a

reply....

not exactly sure the difference's between the Ford Focus duartec & the 3 duratec...

but I know they are different :?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your right its cosworth not codsworth sorry bout the extra D. Aspecproducts.com has all the parts im talking about. I did a vehicle search for a 2004 mazda 3 and it gave me parts for the duratec and mzr motors. Here is the link to the cams http://www.aspecproducts.com/images.asp?theid=8151. Some of the parts like the crankshafts do come up as diffrent parts. I was wondering about the drivability of these cams too. My mazda is a everyday car and I haul my kids around in it. I dont want anything too insanely wild, But some more pep would be nice. And for $200 you cant really beat the price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a respond from codsworth, So much for that Idea :(

Tom,

Our cams will not work on the Duratec/MZR engines that use variable cam/valve timing.

We are working on some that we hope to have available later this year.

Thanks.

Ken Anderson

Sales/Marketing Manager

Performance Parts

Cosworth, LLC.

3031 Fujita Street Torrance, Ca. 90505 USA

310 534 1390 x 423

Fax 310 534 2866

Cell- 562 569 3737

[email protected]

www.cosworth.com

I was wondering if you could help me out. Will the duratec camshafts also fit in a MZR platform. I have a 2004 Mazda 3 and I recently did a vehicle search on aspecproducts.com and the duratec cams cam up. I just want to make sure they will work in my car before I order them. Thank you Tom

·
Registered
7,643 Posts
not to be mr. negative but it would cost you around a 1000$ just to have cams installed, and that doesn't include the new ECU to make them work safely with your ride. sadly theres more to hooking up cars then just forking out money for the parts... but good luck. oh and like dude said up there, you might wanna look into a turbo kit.

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
[quote author=3driverPA link=topic=65847.msg1129377#msg1129377 date=1167765115]
not to be mr. negative but it would cost you around a 1000$ just to have cams installed. sadly theres mroe to hooking up cars then just forking out money for the parts... but good luck
[/quote]

uhhhh...that's why you do your own work.

and did you pull that figure out of your ass or did someone really quote you $1000 to install some cams? hahahahaha.

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
Wow, $1000 to install cams? Its like...3 hours of labor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$1000 bucks to install cams, Your nuts ! Its really not hard to do on your own Since the cams are right under the valve cover. Sure the whole turbo thing sounds nice but there is a lot more to adding a turbo then just slapping it in. At the very least you have to do your fuel system too. If you dont by forcing more air into the motor you cause the air to fuel mixture to lean out. Know what happens if it leans out too far. Kaboom. Now you need a new motor. Not to mention our manifolds are plastic. Not sure how the boost will effect that. Guess it depends on how much boost your going for. Then there is also the head gaskit. Ya I can keep going on and on. Im no Import super mechanic and most of what I know is based on domestic V8's but im sure some of the same principals apply.

Im not going for an all out build. Just looking for a little extra power, but like the guy at cosworth said, the cams wont work with the vvt system. so I think ill just stick with the usuall bolt on's for now.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
[quote author=Philly link=topic=65847.msg1129508#msg1129508 date=1167768839]
$1000 bucks to install cams, Your nuts ! Its really not hard to do on your own Since the cams are right under the valve cover. Sure the whole turbo thing sounds nice but there is a lot more to adding a turbo then just slapping it in. At the very least you have to do your fuel system too. If you dont by forcing more air into the motor you cause the air to fuel mixture to lean out. Know what happens if it leans out too far. Kaboom. Now you need a new motor. Not to mention our manifolds are plastic. Not sure how the boost will effect that. Guess it depends on how much boost your going for. Then there is also the head gaskit. Ya I can keep going on and on. Im no Import super mechanic and most of what I know is based on domestic V8's but im sure some of the same principals apply.

Im not going for an all out build. Just looking for a little extra power, but like the guy at cosworth said, the cams wont work with the vvt system. so I think ill just stick with the usuall bolt on's for now.
[/quote]

dang. you kow your shit. more air means more fuel? dang. Im dumbfounded.

BTW, the kits come with new injectors. Fuel problem solved. Plastic intake is fine. We're talking 5-15 pounds of pressure. Not 50.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didnt know the kit came with injectors. What about a high volume fuel pump. Im not being sarcastic im just curious. Ive seen a lot of younger kids blow up there civics and stuff cause all they do is slap in a turbo. Learn something new every day. Yes to simply put it more air = more fuel. Also the reason for re maping the fuel system. To insure the the computer wont lean out the motor at any specific RPM range. Suprisingly the fuel also helps to cool some of the internals.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
they come with new piggyback or a stand alone fuel management. Check out the turbo section. Hiboost and SCI have kits. I think Hass has a kit too. They are safe - well, as safe as adding 100 hp can be.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I want to see some civic blow up because of its huge ass snail (turbo). But those engines are so strong. I hate our plastic intake manifolds!

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
our intake manifolds are just fine for turbo.

now when it comes to nitrous, i'd think about getting another intake manifold if i were to run nitrous all the time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
While we are on the subject of Cosworth, I was taking a look at this site and see that have quite a bit of Cosworth stuff listed for the MZR (and apparently their own rear engine mount rated at 62 durometers). Might be worth a look if anyone was interested in an NA build...

http://www.streetunit.com/MAZDASPEED_3_Engine_s/869.htm

·
Registered
12,565 Posts
[quote author=island warrior link=topic=65847.msg1130003#msg1130003 date=1167787010]
I knew that this was gonna open Pandora's Box with thread...
[/quote]

Anything along the lines of our car + Cosworth stuff pretty much is, lol, mainly since nothing is definite.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts