Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have gotten hoods painted what was the average cost of having it done decently? I can pick up a new hood for 210 I think shipped and hoping it wont cost double to have it painted the copper red mica the car currently is... (painted both sides). Do these paint shops you went at offer warranties on there jobs ie peeling, flaking, rust etc?

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
21,000 people and no ones gotten a hood painted eh

·
Registered
611 Posts
itll be at least 200$. It really varies quite a bit depending on where you live, a rough estimate is just a phone call away. Im not usually a hater, but its startin to get on my nerves that no one is willing to call a dealership or a body shop, theyd rather get on here and wait for a reply that can't be anywhere near as accurate as a phonecall. /endrant.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ask online because body shops cant really give a esitmate, they want to see it before quoting. Body shop can easily say oh 200-400$. I just need a general idea of what people have got it done so I dont get screwed if most people get it painted for 200$ and I get charged 600$

oh ps. shops are usually closed by the time I get near a phone

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'd like to know where you can get a hood for that cheap! I fucked mine up bout a year ago and havent got another one cuz they are so damn expensive

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got around calling shops, one said the copper red mica was a 3 stage paint and wanted 600+ for the hood, 1 side. Average shop wanted 450-480, the closest one by my house said 200-250+ cost of paint. Only 2 places out of 10 sounded like "professionals" 469.23 and the 200-250 +cost of paint.

·
Registered
960 Posts
if i had to guess i would think a bit over $400 as i've been calling around and asking how much certain stuff would cost to be painted too

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking at copper red paint @ppg sites, which would I be better off to use, the MBC economy basecoat ($144gal) or the standard urethane basecoat @429.20 a gal? Do I even need a gallon, all I need to paint is 1 hood, 1 bumper cover and 2 fenders.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
My dad runs a body shop here in town, he said a paint job done the right way with PPG for the hood, would run you around 500bux
And most shops that are PPG Cert will warranty their work, atleast his shop does for the life of the car.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[quote author=drdellorama link=topic=66044.msg1502111#msg1502111 date=1182353821]
i would advise you to Not paint them yourself, so many things could go wrong on painting such large item as the hood
[/quote]

No Im not painting it myself, this one place told me the cost to paint + the cost of paint and I was seeing how much the paint would cost me. Maybe a gallon for 4 items is to much paint? I used to paint machines back when I started, and I remember a quart would go pretty far, but 4 things like this I dont know. Perhaps 2 quarts...

·
Registered
230 Posts
[quote author=ITHURTZ link=topic=66044.msg1502615#msg1502615 date=1182362170]
[quote author=drdellorama link=topic=66044.msg1502111#msg1502111 date=1182353821]
i would advise you to Not paint them yourself, so many things could go wrong on painting such large item as the hood
[/quote]

No Im not painting it myself, this one place told me the cost to paint + the cost of paint and I was seeing how much the paint would cost me. Maybe a gallon for 4 items is to much paint? I used to paint machines back when I started, and I remember a quart would go pretty far, but 4 things like this I dont know. Perhaps 2 quarts...
[/quote]

Im in the same situation I got quoted 400-500 dollars that too dam expensive I can get a carbon fiber hood for 320 dollars, take my advice and stick with the cf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts