Mazda3 Forums banner

Corksport CBE and DP installed.

29K views 216 replies 42 participants last post by  eb_rat_7 
#1 ·
So I got the car back with the Corksport exhaust and downpipe today after they ran it at the dyno. The downpipe makes the biggest difference in the sound. Upon opening the throttle the car sounds a touch like a WRX/STI, nice and aggressive but not too loud. At cruising speeds the car is nice and quiet.
Performance wise it feels smoother through the powerband. Torque #'s are up and it's obvious when driving it with a heavy foot. I'm starting to get the hots for this car.
I will be meeting up with an owner of a stock Speed3 this friday and get some more feedback/comparisons.

Jason, the mech at CS got pics and new sound clips as well. I forgot to ask for copies of the dyno numbers for stock, with MAzdaspeed intake and CS exhaust and another that includes the downpipe.
I'll see what I can get posted.

#4 ·
[quote author=Mattleegee link=topic=74384.msg1326264#msg1326264 date=1176259558]
come on T you gotta have more info for us
you meeting up with L this weekend?

also did Corksport say anything about the price?
[/quote]

I was in a hurry when I picked up the car so I din't have time to discuss everything.
I'll be meeting up with Lance this Friday to compare against his Speed. IIRC the HP was 260+, Torque ???. Jason did A/F ratio as well. He said the car stayed at a more reasonable AF ratio to about 5700RPM. After that it goes back into fuel dump mode. Not really any power after that anyway so....
I'll see about posting the Dyno numbers when I talk to Derrick, He has to do the sound clips though.
Also the exhaust tip is similar to stock and not coffee can style, I am pretty happy with it.
Loving the sound though.

Oh yeah, I AM THE FIRST IN THE AREA TO GET A DOWNPIPE INSTALLED. :D

Almost forgot, the 1 remaining cat is still a bottle neck but there are a few solutions. I'll post after talking with the guys some more.

#6 ·
[quote author=wbmazda3 link=topic=74384.msg1327583#msg1327583 date=1176312884]
think it would be worth getting just the CB exhaust? Its listed at the Corksport website for $449. The DP isnt an option for those living in Calif (and want to keep things legal since the DP would eliminate the first cat)
[/quote]

With just the exhaust you would get about 20 ?? extra HP and some torque. I e-mailed Derrick about the dyno sheets today so I can get you some exact numbers. Sound wise the CBE alone is not that much different from stock.
I'm not a salesman so it would be up to you how much a little more power and a different sound is worth. I don't know the weight of the exhaust but it is probably close to stock also. It is nice and shiny though. :)

#7 ·
[quote author=wbmazda3 link=topic=74384.msg1327583#msg1327583 date=1176312884]
think it would be worth getting just the CB exhaust? Its listed at the Corksport website for $449. The DP isnt an option for those living in Calif (and want to keep things legal since the DP would eliminate the first cat)
[/quote]

HA! It's legal for the first 5 years!!!!

since the car is brand new, we don't have to smog the car for the first 5 years.

I want a catless system so BAD........

#8 ·
What are you planning to do after 5 years? You obviously can't smog it. You can't sell it to a private party unless you get it smogged first. The only option I see is to put the original Downpipe back in. Is that the plan for everybody?

BTW, if you get this installed, I want to hear it in person. PM me and I'll come meet you. I can also get a 10MP shot of your new rims for everybody. :)

#11 ·
[quote author=mazdamn02 link=topic=74384.msg1328318#msg1328318 date=1176326061]
can't wait to hear this combo. i'm almost thinking about just getting the mazdaspeed cat back and the cpe downpipe. i may change my mind after hearing this though. :D
[/quote]

I bugged CS about the sound clips today, It realy is nice sounding.

#13 ·
[quote author=Ferdball link=topic=74384.msg1328198#msg1328198 date=1176323552]
What are you planning to do after 5 years? You obviously can't smog it. You can't sell it to a private party unless you get it smogged first. The only option I see is to put the original Downpipe back in. Is that the plan for everybody?

BTW, if you get this installed, I want to hear it in person. PM me and I'll come meet you. I can also get a 10MP shot of your new rims for everybody. :)
[/quote]

Within 5 years, I can get a high flow cat welded in the CBE, thats what all the scubbies do in CA. until then, free flow.

PS. I LOVE ur sign, bout future mods............LMOA!!!!!!!

#15 ·
[quote author=SPACE WRANGLER link=topic=74384.msg1328456#msg1328456 date=1176330823]
[quote author=Snowspd3 link=topic=74384.msg1328323#msg1328323 date=1176326107]
I live in a rural part of Oregon so no DEQ for us. I can blow flames out the turbo and down the firewall if I want.
[/quote]
Yeah if you register it out at your folk's place HA HA
[/quote]
:cheers:

#18 ·
Corksport CBE and DP installed. REVIEW

Well drove the car last Friday and here is my review

Pros -Sounds freaking awesome,just loud enough without being obnoxious (you can still hear the MS CAI hissing away :) )
Not sure if there was a power difference since I was driving in traffic but when I was able to open her up in 2nd and 3rd it did seem to pull harder.

Cons - I know this is a sample exhaust but the tip looks like it is a cut off piece of tube with the Corksport stamp on it
Serious vibrations coming from the exhaust when you would let off the gas ( I got this sometimes with my Vibrant but never as long)

So I thinks it's a sweet work in progress that needs a little cleaning up and if they can source a high flow cat I think then we would have a serious winner.

Just my .02 cents

#22 ·
[quote author=COSMOS link=topic=74384.msg1341008#msg1341008 date=1176754989]
Sweet!

I'm going with Mazdaspeed CAI and Mazdaspeed Exhaust from Ron Tonkin mazda + Turbo XS or Corksport downpipe depending on the price.
[/quote]
Hey sorry to thread jack but noticed you're in PDX. There is a meet and drive going on this Saturday http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=73826.0
You should come out for it

#25 ·
[quote author=mazdamn02 link=topic=74384.msg1349651#msg1349651 date=1176993819]
[quote author=Ferdball link=topic=74384.msg1349414#msg1349414 date=1176989696]
Any sound clips yet?
[/quote]

+1 :D
[/quote]

+2 :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.