Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?? I am gonna get me a set of OEM LED tails and I have a red LED bulb I am using for the turn signal.. If I convert the turn signal to a 7443 then it will turn on with the parking lights then when the blinker is on it with flash brighter... How does that sounds?? Stupid or not??

If this is even posible, I dont want to try to mod it to much to make it fit properly, but if it can easily work..

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
You know you will have to wire it that way - you cant just put a dual filament bulb in a single filament housing and have it work.

You will have to buy 7443 sockets and wire them to the existing blinker circuit, while splicing into the parking lamp feed for the 3rd wire in the socket.

If they are all red I dont think it would look bad - I dont know about if you kept them amber though.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=myork link=topic=67292.msg1156695#msg1156695 date=1169162766]
You know you will have to wire it that way - you cant just put a dual filament bulb in a single filament housing and have it work.

You will have to buy 7443 sockets and wire them to the existing blinker circuit, while splicing into the parking lamp feed for the 3rd wire in the socket.

If they are all red I dont think it would look bad - I dont know about if you kept them amber though.
[/quote]

I know I would need a new socket, and also splice the wiring.. I have no problems doing that I just dont wanna have to cut and modify a brand new $400 tail light hosing to make a 7443 socket fit... I just dont know if the 7440 and 7443 sockets are the same shapes...

And yes they would both be red bulbs...

....or my second option is to keep the blinker a 7440 and then putting one of the red LED rings inside the blinker then wire it to the parking light???

Hummm what seems like a better idea?? Either way I am not using any amber bulbs...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67292.msg1156751#msg1156751 date=1169164336]
Wouldn't it be easiest just to get a 7440 red LED bulb? Or am I missing something?
[/quote]

Yes.. BUT I want it to turn on with my parking lights, then get brighter when it flashes.. You need a 7443 bulb to do that... A 7443 bulb has 3 wires going to it and a 7440 bulb only has two wires going to it...

maybe it wont even look good, i dunno, I am just throwing out little cheap mod ideas...

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Gotcha. I was thinking your main goal was just to have red turn signals.

Personally, I would think it would look okay if your brake light and turn signal were the same shape/style (as with the OEM non-LED tails). Then you would have two red lights all the time, and the outside ones would light up brighter when you hit the brakes, and the inside one would blink brighter for the turn signals. I'm not quite feeling the look otherwise.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[quote author=dmention7 link=topic=67292.msg1156788#msg1156788 date=1169165452]
Personally, I would think it would look okay if your brake light and turn signal were the same shape/style (as with the OEM non-LED tails). Then you would have two red lights all the time, and the outside ones would light up brighter when you hit the brakes, and the inside one would blink brighter for the turn signals. I'm not quite feeling the look otherwise.
[/quote]

Yep you got it that is exactly what I mean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts