Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to ask you guys if anybody has experienced the issue i have. After about 10k miles with the tires (continental) i bought i started to hear some noise coming from the rear wheels. It became really annoying and i decided to put the front tires in the back and rear ones in front. the noise moved in front what made me think that i bought just a reputable name, but low quality tires (made in S. Africa). So i went to the shop where i purchased and had them installed. The guys who worked there didn't seem to me very reasonable because i told them that i just had the tires rotated but they put them the way they were before, after free alignment they claimed that the problem was not in the tires, it was in the rear shocks which is the reason the tires to worn out (even that they look like new) and make that weird noise and there is nothing that they can do about it. Now i'm really confused because i didn't have the problem fixed and my car is now 48k miles. Should i get the car to the dealership before reaching 50k claiming shock issues or the people there will laugh at me.

I will appreciate any advise.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
IF you move the tires from the rear to the front and the noise followed, its highly unlikey to be the shock.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
[quote author=Freddyboi link=topic=66231.msg1136470#msg1136470 date=1168129065]
IF you move the tires from the rear to the front and the noise followed, its highly unlikey to be the shock.
[/quote]

I think the shocks wore out the tires, but the noise is coming from the tires.

Anyways, good luck with this. Go to the dealer (or trusted independant place) and get them to take a look at your shocks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bad shocks can wear the tires funny so that they are noisy, but look fine. Out of balance wheels can do the same thing. The noise will be a loud humming or thrumming sound. You can often feel the wear as a cupping or feathering of the edges of the tread blocks. If the tires are rotated and the noise follows the tires, then the tires are the cause of the noise. Make sure you get a four wheel alignment at a good shop, as well as having the wheels balanced. You may need to look into a rear camber adjuster if you have too much negative camber in the rear ( top of rear wheel tilted noticeably inward compared to the front, when viewed from the rear) That's what is causing my tires to wear. I'm not familiar with the Contis but don't forget that you usually get what you pay for, cheap tires can be noisy just because!

Good Luck,
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts