Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so it was just 4 points away from the HI score? ....i think htats pretty damn good since the car did just come out and mazda hasnt had all those years to "perfect" it persay =)

·
Registered
85 Posts
not too sure about the fule econ numbers though. I think they should be a little bit higher..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel economy of the Mz3 is a bit on the low side for a small, 4-cyl because of Mazda's aggressive gearing. This gives it a bit better acceleration in the higher gears but cuts a few MPG out of its fuel economy.

For example, the larger, heavier Honda Accord not only gets better mileage from its 2.4L 4-cyl, but also from their 3.0L V-6.

Note that the review reverses the EPA estimates for the two transmissions with the 2.3L engine. The manual is rated at 25/32 and the auto is 24/29, not the reverse.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was wondering what car they were driving when they criticized the acceleration of the car. Left me with that huh???? feeling.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
and it seems to me they are a bit partial to the VW's...

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Much like reviewers in the UK.

The Mazda3 got killed by a London reviewer who fell in love with the new VW golf. I don't think he even drove the Mz3, but nonetheless gave it 1/5 rating. BLAH!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The gas mileage is still very respectable, especially considering the fact that this car is bigger and faster/as fast as just about anything in its' class (including SVT Focus and Nissan SE-R). I'm willing to sacrifice a couple o' MPG for what I get.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Acceleration

How did CG judge the acceleration? If it is based on ALL cars, then a 4-5 is probably reasonable. But if this relates to this class of cars, the 4-5 should be more like a 8-9 with the 2.3 L/160HP.

Kevin

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Absinthe said:
He's prolly got paid by VW :evil:
Probaly. But I think this guys are full of it. It really comes down to, do you like the car and how much are you willing to spend. :wink:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CG runs a series of timed performance tests. They occasionally publish their times in their reports. I'm surprised by their lowish rating of the Mz3 in this regard. I expected it to be up a tic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts