Mazda3 Forums banner

considering front strut install this weekend

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  sumpirate 
#1 ·
hey guys,

i have been hearing clunking (but no bouncing) from the front and my mechanic told me i needed to replace my brakes, rotors, and front shocks (i'm assuming he means struts)-this is not to mention i need a new O2 sensor, yikes.

mechanic said he's booked up today so i figured i'll give it a shot this weekend. i was looking up guides to do this install but found out there may be additional parts that i didn't order? i'm done rotor and brakes before but not the front struts. i'm reading i may need new mounts as well?

i ordered a pair of bilstein HD struts but do i need to worry about getting bumpers and mounts etc? you guys think if i did need other replacement parts i could just run to autozone to buy them?

other than standard mechanics tools i just need a spring compressor it seems.

thanks!

#2 ·
I'd say you definitely need new mounts. If you are going to have the job done, then replace it all. Is this your first time using spring clamps, or are you going to pay a shop to do that for you? Spring clamps are damn dangerous. You mess it up and you could kill yourself, no joke. Make sure you watch some YouTube videos and be safe.

I'm a quick (complete) strut kind of guy, but this is my daily driver and understand you may want better quality than what Monroe offers. Otherwise, if I am upgrading struts, I pay my local shop to swap out the springs. I messed up once with spring clamps, and never again.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...eIdSearch=375480&searchTerm=172263&showTitle=

#3 ·
Spring clamps aren't unsafe as long as your smart about it and take your time. You need a lot of patience for a strut replacement, especially if your components are rusted. I would order some rear shocks as well as mounts if you can afford to, as they are much much easier to change.

#4 ·
Consider sway bar links maybe, they'll be halfway off anyway, and they can also lead to clunks as they wear out.....

Definately do mounts as well...

#5 ·
Spring clamps, in the industry we refer to them as "suicide sticks", CAN be very dangerous, just like a handgun. Point the wrong end at yourself, and you're going to have a very bad day. If you're careful and use your head for something other than a spring stop, they can be used effectively.

I have a set, have used them for strut jobs numerous times, and I'm still here to talk about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.