Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my speed is brand spanking new. no dents dings or chips in its beautiful red paint. so I'd love to keep it looking this good but the inevitable road debris usually makes swiss cheese on cars with a lot of highway miles. im thinking about getting a clear bra for the front of the car. im worried about it peeling off though after a few years and leaving a nasty film build up. does anyone have experience with this? will it really prevent rock chips and scratches? what brands are good?

·
Registered
231 Posts
1. yes, get one before you start to get nicks and chips
2. install is time consuming (took me 6 hrs, 2 people. do it on a warm day, have a blow dryer handy to help with tight corners and edges)
3. no build up or whatever. peels right off (slowly). no discoloration as it still lets UV through
4. 3M brand is pretty much the standard (5yr warranty also). a full kit is about $160 (what I paid)

5. again, definitely get one. it works.

forums search for clear bra, there are more threads about this.

·
Registered
245 Posts
[quote author=SVTFtoSPEED3 link=topic=133982.msg2879274#msg2879274 date=1232517323]
So my speed is brand spanking new. no dents dings or chips in its beautiful red paint. so I'd love to keep it looking this good but the inevitable road debris usually makes swiss cheese on cars with a lot of highway miles. im thinking about getting a clear bra for the front of the car. im worried about it peeling off though after a few years and leaving a nasty film build up. does anyone have experience with this? will it really prevent rock chips and scratches? what brands are good?
[/quote]

Put it on, or have a shop put it on immediately. The paint is fragile and THIN.
I went with Xpel, but there are many systems available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i got mine when i first bought the car and 25k miles later it still looks good and not a rock chip in sight. I went with the 3m, be prepared to drop a few dollars as it is not cheap.

I also had to guy cover my mirrors, and the inside of my door handles, my gf has nice long nails and i knew it would just be a short time before the passenger door handle was all scratched up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=saranya link=topic=133982.msg2879802#msg2879802 date=1232552529]
1. yes, get one before you start to get nicks and chips
2. install is time consuming (took me 6 hrs, 2 people. do it on a warm day, have a blow dryer handy to help with tight corners and edges)
3. no build up or whatever. peels right off (slowly). no discoloration as it still lets UV through
4. 3M brand is pretty much the standard (5yr warranty also). a full kit is about $160 (what I paid)

5. again, definitely get one. it works.

forums search for clear bra, there are more threads about this.
[/quote]

6 hours?? Wow!! Was it difficult to get it just right? I found a place online they sell both 3M and VentureShield brands. The VentureShield is10% cheaper. Should I just go for the 3M? http://www.nextlevelride.com/store/2009-mazda-mazdaspeed-3-clear-bra-paint-protection.html?productid=44588

·
Registered
684 Posts
I would suggest NOT doing this yourself. I tried...and failed. Than I had to pay a shop to do it for me. Also, if you have any touch up paint on your car, it will peel that off. I peeled off a piece of touch up paint on my front bumper while applying, then taking off the 3M.

But, it does work great, and will prevent rock chips. You may just want to do the hood and fenders, as that's cheaper...and repainting just the bumper won't be as expensive as the rest of the car if you ever need to do that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
[quote author=SVTFtoSPEED3 link=topic=133982.msg2880912#msg2880912 date=1232577706]
6 hours?? Wow!! Was it difficult to get it just right? I found a place online they sell both 3M and VentureShield brands. The VentureShield is10% cheaper. Should I just go for the 3M? http://www.nextlevelride.com/store/2009-mazda-mazdaspeed-3-clear-bra-paint-protection.html?productid=44588
[/quote]

yeah, 6 hours. (eat before you start, start early in the morning just in case it takes longer, definitely get somebody to help) it's definitely not easy. it takes patience and slowly working the pieces into place, use a lot of liquid to keep it from setting.

if you choose to install yourself, it's not going to be perfect. you might have tiny micro bubbles here and there, might not be completely centered. just don't try to be a perfectionist with the install and you should be good.

I'd go 3M just for brand preference as I know they make quality stuff. Also, that kit you linked is only for the bumper. You probably want to find a full kit (Hood Front, Side Mirrors, Fenders & Front Bumper)

this is where I got mine: search ebay for item# 150279952464

should give you: MAZDA 3 SPEED 2007 2008 3M CLEAR BRA PAINT PROTECTION

(it also can with a cd that had a video install lesson, so make sure to watch it and read the instructions carefully before you start)

when making the solution, don't use too much baby shampoo (like I did) because it will make the material too slippery and it will be difficult to pull it around the corner.

again, as long as it stays wet, you'll have plenty of time to work it around curves and corners. just make sure you are PREPARED with enough liquid, hair dryer, really sharp exacto knife, extra hands, warm sunny day, no wind (garage would be ideal)

good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I think I will invest in one of these soon. I already noticed a chip and I have less than 300 miles on the car! I am just worried about when its time to take it off in a few years will leave a cracked residue that will be difficult to take off. I've seen this on a few cars that had clear bra's anyone have experience with this issue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The clear bra is one of the best investments you can make for your cars appearance in the future. I installed one myself at home and it took me approx. 3 hours. I am in no way an expert on the installation but it was over all not to bad. The warmer the day the better, and taking your time on the contours of the car. I bought the complete kit from www.invisiblemask.com for approx. $385.00. The kit came with hood, fenders, front fascia, side mirrors, fog lights and headlights. The car looks great with it on and you have to look close to even notice that there is one on.

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=SVTFtoSPEED3 link=topic=133982.msg2879274#msg2879274 date=1232517323]
[/quote]

IMO this should always be your first mod. 3M and Ventureshield are the best on the market. 3M has a 5yr warranty, Ventureshield is lifetime. Both can be removed without damaging the paint. Either will be good so long as you find a REPUTABLE INSTALLER. Try to go with someone who guarantees their work for the life of the vehicle.

XPEL makes pre-cut patterns using the Ventureshield film, which is what I went with. I paid $675 for the bumper, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, and a 24" strip on the hood and fenders. Here are a few pics of mine:

Good luck!

·
Registered
568 Posts
[quote author=saranya link=topic=133982.msg2882356#msg2882356 date=1232634437]

if you choose to install yourself, it's not going to be perfect. you might have tiny micro bubbles here and there, might not be completely centered. just don't try to be a perfectionist with the install and you should be good.

[/quote]

The micro bubbles are almost unavoidable. You can use a syringe or very fine needle to work them out, so long as they are not near the edge and/or contaminated by dirt.

Press the bubble to one side and gently prick with the syringe. Make sure to use parallel to the paint surface to avoid scratches. Should come right out. Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
i paid about $300 for the pre-cut 3M film. and there is not way i would recommend doing it yourself. i had an installer do it for under 2hrs. looks great.... but like everyone said, do i right away or dont do it at all.
i have had it for almost 18mo. and no yellowing or peeling etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.