Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i'm trying to make an own connection to my m3's stereo. but i didn't find anything on the net or here in this forum. all i could find were these links to various manufacturers of adapter cables or modules.
does anybody know where i can get the electronic schematics of the stereo or at least of the connector for the tape drive? does anybody have experience on that?
i guess, connecting an auxiliary audio input to the tape drives' connector should be possible...

thanks in advance!

marc

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
First off what year is your car?

Second off check the link in my signature for all of the currently available auxiliary audio inputs and ipod integration methods available.

third off, tapping into the tape input is indeed possible, but not something you'd most likely want to be doing at home. It's not just a matter of figuring out which pins carry the audio signal and soldering something onto it. When booting up the radio scans the bus looking for devices. Each device that is plugged into the radio like Internal CD, Tape, External CD, Sat, Nav etc report's itself to the radio with a code. The radio then knows what devices are there and activate the buttons on the radio, Sat, Media, CD-EX etc. In order to send that code the device plugged into the port needs a microprocessor that will talk with the HU. All of the methods in that link have micro processors that converse with the HU and do that for you. Is it possible for you to do it at home? Sure. Would it really be cost effective for you to do the R&D and crack the HU's code for yourself? Probably not.

btw, all my specific knowledge on the workings of things plugged into the ports on the HU is from Zero Cool here on the forums who has done extensive research into the harware/software of the HU, and all peripheral devices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first of all, thanks fo your reply!
i read through many threads, including that your mentioned. these modules and adapters are fine for almost everybody, but only almost!
of course i guessed that it's not that easy. but i'm able to use microcontrollers and write firmware for it. using i- or can-bus would also be no problem.
the reason, why i want to do it my way is, that i want to play around a little with it ;-) for that reason, it would be helpful to have a connector layout and some communication protocol information.
unfortunately i can't search for Zero Cool's threads. when i enter "zero cool" in the "by user" box of the search page and e.g. "aux" in the "search for" box i gent 0 results.
oh, before i forget it: my m3's is built in 2004 - europe model.
it would be great when i could control the HU and let the microcontroller be controlled by the HU controls.

edit:
now i found some threads, but they don't deal with topics like the communication protocol or similar things...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts