Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 60,000km (35,000 miles) my suspension was finished, the car was floating over bumps and was getting scary to drive at high speeds...
I installed Bilstein B8 SP struts on my car and have some conerns that I have not been able to resolve by looking through the threads:

The stoppers on the front had to be removed as the cylinder size of the Bilstein's would not fit if the upper stopper was left in place. Should this be a concern?

Secondly the ride height seems to have increased somewhat in the front, it is now 2.75 inches from the wheel well to the top of the tire. Looks to me like it is about 1 inch more than the pre-install ride height. I'm curious as to what the space is on a stock Mazdaspeed3...

The Bilstein's are the standard B8 sport model SP (I changed all 4 on the car). The rear looks fine.
Model #'s
F4-VE3-B076-H0 L
F4-VE3-B077-H0 R
F4-BE5-B081-H1
for the rears

I would like to drop the front end back to stock height, so any recommendations for a 1-1.5" drop would be appreciated.

The handling of the Bilstein's is pretty spectacular, I am very impressed so far to have made the change.
Tire Rack had a special on some Bridgestone Potenza's SP-01, so put some on the car, 225-40's 18 inch. They are amazing tires in wet or dry conditions.
:)

·
Registered
776 Posts
FWIW, I have heard that Bilstein does in fact increase your ride height. I was told this when I had them for a previous car and I read another Speed3 owner who said the same. This is the only reason why I was leaning towards the Koni Yellows for my regular 3. I still have not decided, Bilsteins or Konis.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do not worry about the bumpstops being removed. All yellow monotube Bilsteins have internal bump stops built in. I had the same issue with my Saab 9-5. Their shocks are the shit. Virtually indestructible inless you drive like you are in the Baja 1000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts