Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran home today during lunch (good thing about living 2 miles from work) and installed my active crossover/LOC I got in today. I decided to go with this since I HATE my amp crossing over the sub at 80hz (that is way too high for me). Even thought it is a freakin Pyle (aka cheap) they are about one of the last companies that make these units. Now my cheap, but free, 10" sub sounds A LOT less boomy. And I keep my bass setting on the HU at -3. The system now sounds 867 times better than stock (and that's JUST with a sub added (oh and I calculated that very precisely). :lol:

I hate the sub (crappy RF Z) but hey this was given to me by a friend (box, sub, and amp) so I am not really going to complain. Plus the mounting depth on the sub is so shallow I got to use an extremely small box. And I can remove the box in about five seconds if I need the space. Plus I have learned my lesson about putting expensive audio equipment in a car. It just isn’t worth it. i would much rather spend my money on other things. Now I am satisfied with the stock HU, stock speakers, and the way this sub seamlessly blends in with it all.

So here are the pictures of the install. I decided I am not going to put the carpet top back on. I like the plastic bins a lot better as far as putting stuff in the hatch. But If I want, of course I can still put the top on. Also this keeps the amp running A LOT cooler.

http://www.jconti.net/mazda3/sub/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
M3-GT said:
Mellow said:
What keeps it from tipping over? Any reason why you didn't opt for the stealth box someone made for the HB?
He got everything for free....why would he go buy another box? Plus a 10" is better than an 8".
You are 100% correct!!! Damn, you answered that better than I would have. :shock:

I do not ride around with the box in the "upright" position. That is just to show how small the box actually is and how it can be moved out of the way, if needed. I just leave it down. It moves NONE. The carpet on the box and the carpet in the hatch bond together like a mutha. Obviously that box in the "down" position has a VERY low center of gravity.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Looks good. Havent seen one of those crossover/LOCs in years. Rockwood and flea market brands used to have them.

I found they cause MAD engine noise. But in your case, since its all low frequencies, its not a big deal.

vB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vaBooM said:
I found they cause MAD engine noise. But in your case, since its all low frequencies, its not a big deal.

vB
Yes, these little bastards will cause some obnoxious engine noise, but you are correct; it isn't an issue at all with just the low frequency. I hated having to add that active crossover, but it actually worked out very well. I am extremely pleased with it. I loved it, back in the day, when the old RF amps had an X card in them that could be changed out to change the crossover frequency. I would always have a 60Hz X card on my subs. Now all the amp manufacturers seem to give you is a hard wired 80Hz crossover. I think that is just too high. Maybe if the slope was more dramatic, it would be great.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hmm.. must be a RF thing. My Hifonics amps have low pass crossovers at 25Hz. And most of the amps we install at the bay are around 30~35Hz.

80Hz is definately too high.. esp for a sealed box.

vB

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vaBooM said:
Hmm.. must be a RF thing. My Hifonics amps have low pass crossovers at 25Hz. And most of the amps we install at the bay are around 30~35Hz.vB
Well, I should have said most of the shitty amps that I use (the ones that cost no more than $150) have the 80Hz crossover. I guess if I ever spent money on this stuff, I would open myself up to a whole new world. All in all, I am happy with how it sounds now. And the best part is I only ended up spending $16 for the crossover and $12 for the wiring kit. Everything else (amp included) was given to me.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Bass Boost is a spike at a centered frequency. If you crossover at say 60Hz, and the boost is at 40Hz, it will smoothen things out and obviously give you more of a kick in sound.

vB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.