Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for a replacement driver's side door for my vehicle and want to clarify a compatibility question. Do the sedan and hatchback use the same doors for both front and rear? I thought I saw something at one time which stated they do, but I want to clarify. I do know the front and rear bumper skins, hood, and (naturally) rear deck are different; otherwise, I thought just about everything else was the same.

What has made me sick is viewing parts on carpart.com and seeing Gen 1 Mazda 3s being parted just because the engine is blown. Several of the vehicles look to be in comparable condition to mine. Hell, perfect for a 2.5L transplant!

Feel free to add to this thread any significant information for interior and exterior differences.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
No man you are incorrect!

The 1st Gen Hatchback has completely different exterior sheet metal design vs. the Sedan Sheet metal....So the doors are different!

You will have to get a hatchback door from a hatch...a sedan door from a sedan.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No man you are incorrect!

The 1st Gen Hatchback has completely different exterior sheet metal design vs. the Sedan Sheet metal....So the doors are different!

You will have to get a hatchback door from a hatch...a sedan door from a sedan.

Well, the hatchback cargo do is a given :wink2: I figured the doors might be the same. *sigh* Such is the price to pay for a cool car. :grin2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a follow-up: I found a boneyard in my area that has a very nice, 2006 MZ3 Hatchback with minor front end damage (enough to total it). Clean doors all around of what appears to have been a well maintained vehicle. I'm going to stop by and wrangle on some items. I've been to this place before and they let me go out back with my own tools. Meanwhile, I'm making arrangements with a friend to repaint the car. Stay tuned......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts