Mazda3 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for a while now I have been itching to buy myself a new car. Initially, i was really looking forward to a Scion tC till the word on the pricing by scion reps was, "it will be well below $20,000". That turned me off and I found the Mazda3s and absolutely love everything on this car. But now rumors about the price have been that it'll retail at 16-17k, well, to be less ball parkish, $16,800. This really woke me up and now i'm thinking about waiting out till june/july which is when the 2005 Scion tC will be launched. But again, i am not too sure what to go for because the Scion tC will be a no haggle car like the xA and xB. Since most of you know the specs and standard/package features for the Mazda3s, i'll only do so for the Scion tC. Please comment and compare both cars on its price/exterior/interior/standard options/etc.

Scion tC

Go here for exterior and interior pictures w/ an article on the Scion tC

A few more pictures here also

Standard Features

Comfort and Convenience Features
Air Conditioner
Power Windows (with one-touch up/down on driver & passenger window w/ pinch protection)
Power Door Locks with Remote Entry
Power Outside Mirrors
Panorama Moonroof with Power Slide/Tilt Front Glass Panel and Dual Manual Sunshades
Rear Window Defogger
Digital Clock
Dual Power Points
Outside Temperature Gauge
Tilt-Steering Wheel
Tachometer and Trip Meter
Sport Front Bucket Seats with Fabric Upholstery and Driver's Seat Adjustable Thigh Support
Cruise Control
Cargo Area Storage
Driver's Seat One-Touch Walk-In w/ Track and Seat Angle Memory
60/40 Split Folding Rear Seat
Rear Window Shading
Driver and Passenger Sun Visor Mirror w/ Cover
Hard Cargo Cover
Amber Instrument Panel Illumination

Exterior Features
17" Alloy Wheels
Multi-Reflector Auto-off Halogen Headlamps
Side Mirrors with Turn Indicators
Intermittent Front Wipers
Chrome Exhaust Tip

Audio
Pioneer AM/FM/CD Head Unit (MP3 and Satellite controller capable)
Scion Sound Processing
6-Speakers (including 2 tweeters)
Rear Fender-Mount Antenna

Safety Features
Driver and Passenger Front Airbags
Driver Knee Airbag
Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS)
Driver and Passenger 3-Point Seat Belts
Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Three-Across Rear Head Restraints
3-Across 3-Point Rear Seat Belts
First Aid Kit

Specs For further specs, go here

-Engine - Double overhead cam (DOHC) 16-valve VVT-i 4-cylinder
-Displacement - 2.4 liters
-Bore x stroke - 88.5mm X 96mm
-Compression ratio - 9.6:1
-Valvetrain - Double overhead cam (DOHC) 16-valve with Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-I)
-Induction system - Multi-port EFI
-Ignition system - Electronic with Direct Ignition (TDI)
-Horsepower - [email protected] 5700 rpm
-Torque - 163 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
-Transmission
5-speed manual overdrive - Standard
4-speed electronically controlled transmission (ECT) - Available
-Brakes - Power-assisted ventilated front/rear disc with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS)
-Exterior Dimensions (inches)
Overall height - 55.7
Overall width - 69.1
Overall length - 174
Wheelbase - 106.3
-Interior Dimensions Front/Rear (inches)
Seating Capacity - 5
Spare - Temporary

EDIT: Added "Comparo" to title and moved to Mazda3/Axela since this is where ALL comparos reside
:twisted:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was also thinking about the tC but I can't wait until the launch date, as well as there are no dealers anywhere near me at the moment.

One thing i think that is great about the Scion is the HUGE moonroof that they offer as well as all the standard options they offer... you really don't need to purchase any extra packages to have a fully loaded car.

Drawbacks for me: Made by Toyota... yeah. And also, really bland and, IMO, UGLY interior. And the 2-door styling.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Nice set of features and specs. Unfortunately, Toyota interiors has been cheap as of late. The Corolla's interior for example, looks like crap. It's very refined crap, but crap still. The tC looks okay in the pictures but I am just not liking the contrast between the bright silver center console and the rest of the dark interior. Will have to see in person.

Oh, and 2 vs 4/5 doors.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Judging from the rake of the roof & rear windshield (much like the RSX/Integra), I'd say there is very little headroom for rear seat occupants. The front end reminds me of a prev gen Legacy (not too sure what the new Legacy looks like), looking kinda disgruntled, as opposed to a grinning demeanor of a 3. Also, there appears to be no wheel mounted audio controls, & telescopic steering wheel. Dual sunroof looks cool, & the minimalistic console looks ... can't decide yet, although it may grow on me in time. The specs & price do look good, though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
BMM3 said:
LeeLee said:
Oh, and 2 vs 4/5 doors.
Looks more like a 3 door to me.......

I like it. Wouldn't buy it, but I like it.

FYI......the tC is the next Celica. Toyota is droping the Celica from its line up and is moving it to Scion, calling it the tC.
Errr... Yea, what you said.

·
Registered
256 Posts
All in all a very nice car. However, I'd still go with the 3. I like the interior looks much more and I also think I would actually prefer the four doors - but those are simply a matter of taste.

One other thing: Anyone know how hefty this thing is? The weight can really effect the performance and I can't find it written anywhere. Maybe it's a pig?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The car isn't bad looking. The stats sound great and should provide for some more competition in it's market segment.

But until I test drive it, I can't make any further decisions on it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
NASTY said:
BMM3 said:
FYI......the tC is the next Celica. Toyota is droping the Celica from its line up and is moving it to Scion, calling it the tC.
where the hell did you hear that?
i highly doubt...
Rumors (from Motor Trend) sugest that Toyota USA may not bring the Celica or MR-S to the US for the 2005 model year. Replacing the Celica in the Toyota lineup may be the Scion Tc ("Toyota Celica"?). Suposedly Toyota feels they only have room in their line up for one sporty coupe.
There is all kinds of talk each way with the Celica, but I'm betting it's dropped from Toyota's line up. Why would they have two nearly identical cars in the same showroom, and Scion being marketed to a younger group than Toyota......just an opinion.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks like they are taking the 2.4L out of the Camry and dropping it into this smaller car. This is the engine I always wanted to see in the Matrix, instead of the torque-less 1.8L.

Long wheelbase for a small car. They are using the Chrysler-developed "cab-forward" concept to extend the wheelbase, while Chrysler moves away from it. I've been expecting the Japanese companies to come along and do innovative things with this design.

Any word if the Scion will have Traction Control or if the auto offers a sport stick / manumatic feature?

I've also heard the rumors of the Celica's demise, but others contend that Toyota will instead turn the next Celica into a high performance sports car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Scion tC

My first thought when I saw the pictures, was "OK, this is the vehicle that makes me wonder if I made the right decision".

After fully absorbing the pictures, I have to admit... it's not as sexy as the Mazda3.

Sure like that sunroof, though.

But, main thing is, I don't want a Toyota. Neither do I want a Honda. I want to be different and drive a vehicle that not everybody has. Something edgy. I suppose that could change if the 3 proves really popular, but for now - it's cool and different.

dg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
EnFuego138 said:
Anyone know how hefty this thing is? The weight can really effect the performance and I can't find it written anywhere. Maybe it's a pig?
The weight of the car is around 2900lbs. And a supercharger will be available at launch date where it'll boost the tC to 200+HP.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I'm not sure if I like it or not, the exterior looks like some kind of freakish hybrid monster car.

The front end reminds me of the new mustang,
the headlights a bmw 7 series,
the rear end a nissan maxima.

The interior is okay, but nothing to get exited about (besides the sunroof) really.

- minuses

the gauge cluster is boring, unlike the 3 and the matrix - it has potential though, I can invision a gauge face swap, since it has those deep gauges like the 3 and matrix.
the centre console is nice but doesn't really suit the rest of the car.
the cover for the stereo is a bit awkward, i think it would be a pain the ass flipping it all the time -- not to mention all the dumb theives that break in who would think a nav screen was hidden under there.

+ pluses

the sun roof
the trunk seams reasonally big for a 2/3 door
bucket seats
good sized engine

·
Registered
144 Posts
The rumors about the Celica are indeed a fact. The US market will not have Celicas after the 2005 or 2006 car year.

BTW, the tC is a great looking car. I will have to decide between the Mazda 3, RSX, and the tC. Don't think I can go wrong on any of the 3 (no pun intended, :D ).

Kevin

PS. Nice links to the tC. Much appreciated

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.