Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
cool dk, you are also from houston. have you even seen a 3 around town. i look everday and see nothing!

this ad was in the classified section last wednesday. it was in a suburb (somewhere close to spring i think, maybe even woodlands)

i did not get the year but i know it included moon roof and leather, but thats about all i remember.

its also a new one.

right now, im leaning on the 3!!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Well, I just finalized on my 3 friday, but it's in the shop getting the leather installed right now, and the loaner car they gave me is a 6i. I don't like it :( Suprisingly enough it doesn't seem to handle as well, seems a bit less stable on turns, and has a much smaller turning radius than the 3 (my last car was a 95 monte carlo z34 and it turned better than the 6 despite being a longer car).

Another peeve is the cockpit layout of the 6 is far less acessable from the driver's seat. All of the controls seem to be miles away. On the other hand, the center storage compartment on the dash is handy (wish i had some kind of dash storage as i refuse to take my cds out of their jewlcases and the armrest storage is somewhat awkward to dig through while driving), and the seats are nicer.

My biggest gripe however is the raw performance of the car seems to be severely lacking for some reason. The car isn't that much heavier but still seems alot slower than the 3s automatic I initially test drove (mine's a MT so it's hard to say for certain as it's been awhile since my first day looking, but apples to oranges it's a HUGE difference).

As was previously stated however, test drive em both, the best opinion to trust on the car you're gonna buy is always your own.

Oh, and I live in Houston as well, so mebbe you'll see me tooling around town soon :)

nerf
(now i know why they always call for 3 cheers)

· Registered
888 Posts
nerf said:
Well, I just finalized on my 3 friday, but it's in the shop getting the leather installed right now, and the loaner car they gave me is a 6i. I don't like it :( Suprisingly enough it doesn't seem to handle as well, seems a bit less stable on turns, and has a much smaller turning radius than the 3 (my last car was a 95 monte carlo z34 and it turned better than the 6 despite being a longer car).

Another peeve is the cockpit layout of the 6 is far less acessable from the driver's seat. All of the controls seem to be miles away. On the other hand, the center storage compartment on the dash is handy (wish i had some kind of dash storage as i refuse to take my cds out of their jewlcases and the armrest storage is somewhat awkward to dig through while driving), and the seats are nicer.

My biggest gripe however is the raw performance of the car seems to be severely lacking for some reason. The car isn't that much heavier but still seems alot slower than the 3s automatic I initially test drove (mine's a MT so it's hard to say for certain as it's been awhile since my first day looking, but apples to oranges it's a HUGE difference).

As was previously stated however, test drive em both, the best opinion to trust on the car you're gonna buy is always your own.

Oh, and I live in Houston as well, so mebbe you'll see me tooling around town soon :)

nerf
(now i know why they always call for 3 cheers)
I don't like the 6's center console. The entire car just doesn't look as upscale as the Mazda 3. Mazda did an excellent job with the 3, I'm sure they will apply it to the rest of their lineup. The 6 is already showing its age.

· Registered
882 Posts
The one thing I disliked about the 6's interior was the volume controls. Those knobs were awful shallow and for guys like me with thick fingers it was difficult to grip. Add to it that the inside of each knob was slightly cantered to the centre of the console made it hard to get a grip on them, maybe just the way I do it but felt wrong.

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Monte Carlo!! Whoo-hoo!!!

I had a 1987 Monte Carlo SS, white with T-Tops..... Like what Dale Earnhart used to drive. That thing was freakin' awesome!

· Registered
4,329 Posts
I haven't driven a Mazda6 ( and probably won't), but I did drive test drive an automatic 3 "s" sedan tonight, and I loved it. The power was certainly more than I was expecting and the trans shifts very smoothly. I noticed that the controls are all very close to the driver (less reaching), and certainly a change from my Contour. All the controls felt substanial and smooth, and the radio knobs were easy to grab and smooth turning. I love the gauges, and the console and cup holder lids were nice quality plastics.

This WILL be my next car!! I wish it was March already :(

· Registered
8 Posts
Some of you are clearly biased because this is the 3 board.

In response to:
The entire car just doesn't look as upscale as the Mazda 3......The 6 is already showing its age.
I know opinions are like @ssholes, and everybody has one, but this is just dumb. Showing its age? Yeah, it looks one-year old, more MATURE than the cute-but-made-for-teens 3. I've driven a few 3's and I wouldn't exactly use the word "upscale" to describe them.

maybe just the way I do it but felt wrong.
Must be. I've never had a problem any of the 4 or 5 times I've used the knob instead of the button right under my left thumb.

Suprisingly enough it doesn't seem to handle as well, seems a bit less stable on turns
May "SEEM" that way, but those that have driven one longer than 15 minutes know better.

Another peeve is the cockpit layout of the 6 is far less acessable from the driver's seat. All of the controls seem to be miles away
Maybe that's because it's a bigger car? Or maybe because they designed it for people OVER 5 ft 4? Again, those that drive it everyday won't have this same complaint.

· Registered
330 Posts
Also lets not forget the 2.3l at 160hp in the 6i matches up with almost all cars in its class.

I've driven both cars several times. The 3 actually felt bigger for some reason. I was at the dealership yesterday and they had a 6s and a 3s-hb setting next to each other in the showroom. They aren't really too much different in size, from a purely visual sense, IMO

· Registered
888 Posts
scorp76 said:
Some of you are clearly biased because this is the 3 board.

In response to:
The entire car just doesn't look as upscale as the Mazda 3......The 6 is already showing its age.
I know opinions are like @ssholes, and everybody has one, but this is just dumb. Showing its age? Yeah, it looks one-year old, more MATURE than the cute-but-made-for-teens 3. I've driven a few 3's and I wouldn't exactly use the word "upscale" to describe them.
I sat in the 6 and it is not half as impressive as the 3. The interior of the 6 looks cheap compared to the 3, especially that center console with the 3 circle air vents with everything painted silver that is trying-to-be-upscale-but-too-cheap-to-use-aluminum. The fit and finish is not as good as the 3. I personally would never buy a Mazda 6 because of the interior, also, the V-6 is just weak and it is a b1tch to mod. Nice suspension though....

BTW.. Which 6 do you have?

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
well the deal is back and this time at the champions mazda dealership. brand new 2004 6i with leather, tint, and abs package all for only $15,165. ive already made up my mind that im getting a 3 and if the 6 prices can fall like this within a year (not to mention its a 2004) ill wait for the 2005 3 and probably get a great deal like this. man 15165 is lidicrous!

· Registered
2,459 Posts
Well, it was in the paper and didn't disclose the features. And I don't know what model year (are the '04 mz6 out yet?)...

21 - 40 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.