Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
427 Posts
The 6i is much quicker with a manual than an auto. Manual's always have more performance, but sometimes the difference is greater than others, and this is one of those times. Many reviewers thought the 6i had decent performance with a manual.

The overall quality of the 6 is also a bit higher than the 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats, carpet, sound insulation, and many more things were a grade higher in the 6. It would give a smoother, quieter ride than the 3. It is aimed at competing with the Accord and Camry, wherein the 3 goes after the Civic and Corolla.

Still there are reasons to like the 3 better. It is quicker, it is smaller and more manueverable, and it is fun to drive.

At the same price the 6 is a better buy, as I'm sure the sticker on the 6 is at least a couple thousand higher, but that doesn't mean you would like it better.

· Registered
427 Posts
Worse yet, the Mazda 3.0L V-6 doesn't hit its claimed power. Mazda has occasionally exaggerated their engine power output over the years and has done it again with this engine. On a real good day, it might put out 210hp. I've seen several dyno measurements and the average is around 205hp, with some of them being in the high 190's.

· Registered
427 Posts
I like the 6 a lot. And I consider it to be a driver's car too. I forget which it was, either Car & Driver or Road & Track that rated it as driver's car of choice in its price range. Another like-minded review can be found at:

http://www.automotive.com/reviews/12/2003/mazda/mazda6/driving-impressions/index.html

The 6 isn't a whole lot larger, being something like 8" longer. And with a MT and V6 it is faster than a 3 with MT and 2.3L. The 6 has been timed at around 6.7-6.8 in the 0-60 and 15.1 in a 1/4 mile. But it is a bit plusher and smoother, so you lose a little feel of the road. And it can't corner quite as nibly as the 3.

Here's another overview:

http://www.fast-autos.net/mazda/mazda6.html

They don't have a 3 page up yet on this site.

My biggest gripe on the 6 is how Mazda packages the options. If you want a moonroof, you have to also buy the 17" alloy wheels, Bose audio package, security system, and Sport Package. The list price of all the the options required in order to have a piece of glass in the roof is $3600.

· Registered
427 Posts
Braking and grip, eh?

According to the ModernRacer.com page, the numbers are:

Mz6s 60 to 0 in 125', 0.77g skidpad
Mz3s 60 to 0 in 125', 0.80g skidpad

But according to the "fast autos" page, they claim:
Mz6s 60 to 0 in 121', 0.86g skidpad.

Car and Driver's test
Mz6i 0.87g skidpad
Mz3s 0.87g skidpad

I'm not sure the 3 has much of a real world advantage on either.

· Registered
427 Posts
Boy, one person asked why we were bickering and another why we were arguing and I don't think we were doing either. I was just presenting information. I didn't see anyone slamming anyone else. Or anyone saying that either the 3 or the 6 was a poor car.

· Registered
427 Posts
It had been a long time since I had checked on the V6 horsepower measurements (more than a year ago). I spent some time checking around and the typical dyno on a stock V6 is in the mid-170's, which is estimated to be around 215hp. So the Mazda rating of 220 appears to be close enough.

So please disregard my earlier post. I'm pretty sure those numbers were the estimated engine hp numbers from the earliest wheel dyno readings and were on the low side because they came from people who had expected a bit more and were complaining about it.

· Registered
427 Posts
Here's another braking distance measurement from Car and Driver's tests.

Distance to stop from 70mph:
Mazda 3s 169ft
Mazda 6i 169ft

Pretty amazing that they got the same exact distance.

For comparison, the VW Passat did 184' and Honda Accord 185'.

· Registered
427 Posts
Mazda truly has two excellent value cars here.

In digging up the numbers again on the 6, I was impressed all over again by it. It has size and comfort to compete against the Accord and Camry, combined with performance and handling that closely rivals the 3.

It is understandable that some would-be Mazda customers will have a hard time deciding between the two. With the rebate, there are many 6i's on lots at prices below those of 3S models. So do you go for the quicker, more manuverable small car (with the utility of a hatch), or the larger sports sedan? Nice choice for Mazda to offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.