Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about buying a 3, because i instantly fell in love with it, but i just found a great deal on a 6i with leather and moon roof for only 15 grand. im confused on what to do because 15k seems like a bargain.

anyone know any major differences between the two?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
6i weighs more, get the 3s-same engine, the 3 will move quicker and handles better, IMO.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
well for one ... the 6 is a midsize sedan while the 3 is a compact, so if you're planning to bring other ppl in the car comfort might be a factor in choosing. also since the 6 is heavier i think that it would be a lil slower than the 3 since they ahve the same engine. and well since i myself have a 3 and didnt buy a 6 haha...im pretty biased towards my baby =D

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
You should:

1. Specify your location in yoru profile
2. Specify the EXACT option on these 2 cars

I will:

1. Rename the topic in the meantime :)

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Unless it was fully decked, nah. Im happy with my 3hb and what I paid.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i compared the cars on mazda.com and i noticed that the 6 is bigger and longer, but the 3 has more head room and like 1/2 inch less leg room. not much difference.

any significance difference in interior?

·
Registered
310 Posts
IMO the gauge cluster looks better on the 6, and I like the console better, too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i really dont care about features like that. all it does is just add to price. but exterior and interior design might just help me with my decision. i mean both run pretty much off of the same engine, both are pretty much same size (passenger room wise) and both are mazdas :)

i dunno about the guages though:

the 3 has more of a IS 300 look to it. and the 6 is nothing special. kinda blah, IMO. i mean this is something you dont see in everyday low priced cars.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Tough choice though if I was going to go for a Mazda 6 personally I wouldn't get anything smaller than the V-6.

·
Registered
27 Posts
csweeney said:
6i weighs more, get the 3s-same engine, the 3 will move quicker and handles better, IMO.
While I can't vouch for the 3 moving or handling better than the 6, I wouldn't be at all surprised. I've been in an auto 6i, and from the passenger seat it felt like a dog compared to even the 3i with a 5-speed. Since the 3s has the same engine as the 6i but weighs less, I'd think the 3 would be a bit quicker.

I was enamored with the 6 until the 3 came out...and suddenly the 6 doesn't really do much for me anymore. Very nice car, but the 3 just seems...prettier to me somehow. :)

I guess they are somewhat similar cars, and you'll have to buy the one that drives better. You have test-driven 'em both, haven't you? If you drive them both and come away thinking they're equal, then go for the 3 as it will likely have cheaper insurance and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
A 6i loaded is a great deal for 15k. A 3s loaded won't be less than 18k. As for interior room, the rear seats in a 6 are much better for adults even if the umbers don't make it appear so. I like the fact that the 3 is a more driver centered vehicle. Seat has more adjustments, steering as well. Everything seems more driver centered while the 6 is more passanger focused.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Styling wise, the Mazda6 looks more agressive, but the 3 has a subtle attitude to it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 6i is much quicker with a manual than an auto. Manual's always have more performance, but sometimes the difference is greater than others, and this is one of those times. Many reviewers thought the 6i had decent performance with a manual.

The overall quality of the 6 is also a bit higher than the 3. I wouldn't be surprised if the seats, carpet, sound insulation, and many more things were a grade higher in the 6. It would give a smoother, quieter ride than the 3. It is aimed at competing with the Accord and Camry, wherein the 3 goes after the Civic and Corolla.

Still there are reasons to like the 3 better. It is quicker, it is smaller and more manueverable, and it is fun to drive.

At the same price the 6 is a better buy, as I'm sure the sticker on the 6 is at least a couple thousand higher, but that doesn't mean you would like it better.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I don't know, I'll tall you after the first weekend in March. Once I complete the Rev It Up challenges in San Francisco, I'll be able to have compared driving both cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not only have i not test driven either of them, i havent been inside one. in fact, i havent been in a mazda ever. this car grew onto me, but you your points are legit. i dont drive that much, and when i do, its pretty much just me, so id prefer the one thats more driver oriented. i guess ill just have to test drive both first, but i know that 15000 deal wont last that long!

·
Registered
232 Posts
15k....but from what you are telling everybody, you might be more suited for the 3 cuz it is just that, driver-oriented. But just go ahead with your plan of test driving both...i mean you are serious about getting one so they can't turn you away...besides, they are both great, reliable cars that will make you feel that you have made a good decision either way.

·
Registered
171 Posts
what exactly are all the options included in that 6i? is it 2003 or 2004?

1 - 20 of 108 Posts