Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
it reminds me of a civic, where you would have to mod everything to make it appealing.
the interior feels so cheap, and the steering wheel looks like it came from a my crappy camry.
and i agree, that its styling is outdated.

There is nothing about it that i really like, except for maybe the engine at this price range.
the Lancer Ralliart is ok when comparing it to other cars in its class, just not the mazda3.

does anyone know its 0-60 or 1/4mile times?

· Registered
187 Posts
It's definetely fast ... no doubt. I rode in one and the thing is capable of taking on cars in the 5-second range. But (and I stress BUT) most cars capable of doing 60mph in that time have a solid ride and are quiet. Corvette, Mustang, M3, S4 ... etc. Of course, they're all almost twice as much, but even compared to the WRX, it's still nothing because the size and ride quality just aren't there. Even Subaru has better build quality and better driving feel, and for $5k less. The Evo still feels like a Lancer with a big turbocharged engine and no sound insulation or comfort features. If that's your thing, then I guess the Evo is your car. It can honestly come down to being a very subjective decision, but the majority of people like a car with some heft and bulky feel to it.

This is exactly why Mitsubishi can offer it for $30k ... it feels $20k cheaper than the rest of those cars, if not more. :roll:

· Registered
396 Posts
i guess some people just don't read the title of some topics.
it says RALLIART, not EVOLUTION. we all know that the evo is fast.
but the topic starter and i would like to know how the ralliart compares to the 3.
since i've sat in one, i know the interior sucks. but does anyone know if its faster than the 3??? i'm just curious.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
i believe it is faster than the 3...2 more hps and 12 more lbs of tq...and i believe its lighter thant he 3 also....so it be a few tenths of a second faster and it can prolly get off the line faster...=)...but the quality of the 3 just blows the ralliart away...

· Registered
882 Posts
Well according to the Mitsubishi page a comparibly equipped Ralliart "Sportback" (gawd is that ugly) with the same features (auto and the 3 main accessories I have) would cost around $500 less than what my 3 did and have nowhere near the other cool toys or interior quality.

Things of note...

A little louder stereo (not necessarily better).

2 more HP, 11 more TQ

From what I can find a comparible Sportback to a 3 Sport would be less than 100 pound difference, pretty negligable. So yeah maybe a 10th faster in the quarter, but that also depends on how the motor runs, the programming and shift timing. If it's not as good as Mazda's then any benefits, no matter how insignificant, could be erased rather quickly.

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Check this out..

http://edmunds.com/new/2004/mitsubishi/lancer/100369818/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=18fsoFnNUcI1saoWzLPPZ73ZGz3TeY4XNRyj86fLZ82Q1y2W4lF5!-1352771413

Just click the headers at the top of the comparison and you will see the differences.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Neat comparsion site. In some ways they are similar and in other ways quite different.

M/T Jan tested the Ralliart--0-60 in 6.9 and the 1/4 in 14.9!!!

With the power so close th that of the 3 there shuld not be a huge difference. In my experince a 162hp 2800lb car cannot run 14.9 in the 1/4.

So there are 3 possiblities:

1. Mitsubishi underrated the engine by 25hp
2. Mitsubishi modded the engine and gave it to M/T
3. Motor Trends equipment malfunctioned (or misprint)

Have to wait for a 2nd or third magazine to better tell what they really run.

· Registered
882 Posts
Yeah gotta be careful too. The 3 that Car & Driver tested was a sport which is a little bit heavier than the sedan but not a full second worth. Should be interesting to see what the deal is. I know I had Mustangs with 200+ HP that were around 2800 pounds and they couldn't do below 15's in the quarter.

· Registered
8 Posts
avro206 said:
M/T Jan tested the Ralliart--0-60 in 6.9 and the 1/4 in 14.9!!!

With the power so close th that of the 3 there shuld not be a huge difference. In my experince a 162hp 2800lb car cannot run 14.9 in the 1/4.

So there are 3 possiblities:

1. Mitsubishi underrated the engine by 25hp
2. Mitsubishi modded the engine and gave it to M/T
3. Motor Trends equipment malfunctioned (or misprint)

Have to wait for a 2nd or third magazine to better tell what they really run.
I caught that review too. They said the times had a lot to do with gearing. Who knows. Maybe Mitsu designed a really efficient engine for once.

Reminds a lot of the 330i. Funny how it has only 225 hp but can hit 60 in under 6 seconds.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I've test driven both cars (and given my reviews in previous threads).

I'm leaning Ralliart cuz I loved the GT-A Evo seats (felt like sports seats... in a 22k car too!). And I loved the very-usable torque on the Ralliart. Plus, I hated how I had a HUGE blind spot trying to shoulder check in the Mazda 3. Both cars are great, though. Especially for only 22k!! I'll pass on another Corolla, thank you.

Despite a few minor things between both cars, I liked the Ralliart cuz it was more "gutsy" than the Mazda 3. But there is no doubt in my mind in the Mazda 3 is much smoother and drives like silk.

I'm just the kinda guy who likes more "gutsy".

· Registered
447 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Ralliart, it just looks too much like the base econo car. Nice touches from the EVO make it a winner.

The only thing I would worry about is Mistubishi staying in business.
Their previous low cost financing schemes and poor resale value have them looking at refinancing a ton of debt.

If the bankers get real ugly, they may go away.

Besides Mitsubishi has got a great history of high performance, light weight vehicles.... :lol:

Second World War - brought to you by the Mitsubishi Zero :shock:

· Registered
7,285 Posts
I didn't think the Ralliart was that much faster than the 3. I defintely like the way the 3 looks as opposed to the Lancer. Their prices are pretty close as well so I do have to admitt that they are a good match for comparison.

Mitsu just scares me though...

· Registered
1,505 Posts
Actually, I think that Mitsubishi, despite all these whacks to their heads, can make it through. Mitsubishi is a HUGE company in other parts of the world (Mitsu Motor Corporation is also a lot bigger than we think). In North America, they seem like Kia. But head out to Asia and you'll see just how big the company is.

Mitsubishi doesn't just do cars. They do TVs, electronics, heaters (I think).... stuff like that.

So... yeah, I think Mitsubishi is big enough to get out of this. They won't go out of business like Daewoo did (Daewoo got bought by...uhhh... GM, I think?).

However, if they keep serving up silly commercials... they might :p

· Registered
1,505 Posts
how does the Ralliart Lancer compare to the Mazda 3 in terms of handling and speed in tight areas?

I didn't really get a chance to FULLY drive both cars to see what they were capable of, but both seemed to have a real good feel of "go".

· Registered
621 Posts
How do all these Mazda3 vs xxxx car threads get revived?

Its widely agreed that the Ralliart is faster than the 3, though a bit uglier and pretty competent in the corners. For its price, its thought of as a good buy. I wouldn't go near one though, as Mitsubishi's dealer network in the US is just weird and half the time peope don't know where to go to get the damn things fixed.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.