Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide between a 3s and a 6s... I have test driven both of them and they are so very similar that I'm having trouble deciding.

I could either get a 3s with every option, or for about $1-2K more I could get a 6s, but it wouldn't have 17" wheels/tires, 6cd, side air bags, side sill extensions, or xenons. Seems like the 3 is a better deal cause I can't really think of any advantages of the 6... other than size, but I dont really care about that... what other advantages does it have?

I took a look at the 3s and 6s reviews by "Car and Driver" and the 0-30 time for the 3s is a couple tenths of a second faster than the 6s' time. But then the 0-40 and 0-50 times for the 6s are a couple thenths faster and 0-60 is 1/2sec faster. The 1/4 mile time for the 6s is about 7/10 of a second faster than the 3s... so it seems like they have nearly the same torque curve and power in regards to their weight.

EDIT: Made it a "comparo" thread :twisted:

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
exactly what dinu said. the 6s is the v6. The 6s comes with ABS, traction control and automatic climate control. the 3 does not (at least not in the US). The 6i would be a better comparo to the 3s-same engine and all.
Oh yeah, the 6 gets worse gas mileage too. 3 owners are reporting in the 25mpg range, and I get 18mpg city driving on my 6s.

And dinu, that comparo you posted was for the 6i (which you prolly know-but I'm clarifying for others who don't).

·
Registered
581 Posts
IMHO, I like the features that the Mazda 3 has to offer over the Mazda 6.

You already stated that the size doesn't matter to you and that you do like the features you can get on a nearly fully loaded Mazda 3s compared to a base model Mazda 6s. So now bring in a couple of other factors...

Does the cost of car insurance matter to you? I think the 3s would be a little cheaper to insure over the 6s.
Does the Gas Mileage matter to you? The Mazda 3s does get better mileage than a Mazda 6s, overall.
Who's going to be riding in your car? If you frequently give rides to large passengers, the Mazda 6s might be a better choice over the Mazda 3s.

There are probably many other reasons to consider. But just to get the ball rolling, there you go. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some questions:

I heard the 6 has auto-off headlights, does the 3 have this also?

Do leather seats suck in the winter since there is no heated seats in the 3... cloth vs. leather?

Are the 17" tires on the 3s bad in rain and snow?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
lazerasa said:
Some questions:
Do leather seats suck in the winter since there is no heated seats in the 3... cloth vs. leather?
I have leather seats without heated seats and it doesn't suck. Then again, I also don't live in a place with a real winter. I think it's a nice luxury to have, but not necessary. Your butt will warm up the leather pretty quickly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those bouncing boobs are hypnotizing :shock:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'd probably take the 3 myself (more options = good) but to be truthful it is a hard choice, they are both great cars. It will likely come down to if you want the bigger torque of the V6 (and HP) or you want the smaller and more nimble 3 (based on size).

If price were equal between the two I would have given serious though to the 6s but I like the options I got for a few grand less in m Mazda 3. And if you're hunting for the hatchback then it's hands down the 3.

·
Registered
310 Posts
...but I certainly hope you're not hunting for a hatchback, especially since size is not an issue to you (which is the sole advantage of the hatch over the sedan).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I'm not looking for a hatchback... I don't really like how they look and the extra space/utility isn't a necessity for me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd take the 6s myself, more power, more standard features. Most of the options on the 3s I feel are unnecessary, except ABS (maybe), which is standard on the 6s anyway.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The 0-60 times I've seen in Car & Driver were 7.4 for the 3s and 7.9 for the 6i (2.3L), both with manual. Motor Trend reported that they got 6.67 from a 6s w/manual.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bombadil said:
The 0-60 times I've seen in Car & Driver were 7.4 for the 3s
And that was a loaded 5-door too, which is, needless to say, much heavier than a base 4-door.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts