Mazda3 Forums banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
It's why I removed mine.

Except mine was literally affecting me at night (since I can see my light reflecting in the glass and on hatch door). Started to make me crazy. And I didn't have mine flash that many times nor that fast. I did as slow and short as possible. 3 blips like quarter second long, and it bugged the crap out of me after a while.

Great for getting attention though....

HUGE fault with them?
no "idle" time. You can tap your brakes all day and it will continue to flash. There should be a 30 second rest period so it's not constant insanity; that's why I always hated having it in traffic. Equally annoying to everyone else.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I can actually set a timeout on the module, 30sec "no-flashing" dead time seems logical.

All tidied up, 28.5mm RSB in (no more trail braking :cry:) and ready to track.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Just ordered parts for a canard experiment ;) Should come in by mid next-week just in time for Shukai San Jose. It'll be my first official car show, and man am I not used to keeping the car clean.

New front springs are in, Swift 9k -- the Hypercos were OK on the track but a terrible match for bumpy NorCal canyons. I compromised and stepped down a bit. My spring combo now is 9k/12k though so I'm gonna baby the car till next shakedown day at the track. Not sure how much oversteer I'm going to get on-brakes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Anything to grow my brand @bmspec and gain customers lol.

Speaking of which: I don't know how OK or not OK it is to post this, but I'm looking for people to try out my updated wing riser design. My first prototype was overkill, so I've drawn a more svelte Version 2 design but I actually can't use my car to test fit it anymore (irreversible welding job on my hatch).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Livery! BMSPEC windshield banner coming soon, I'll try to make these available for anyone running my products but I myself am having trouble applying it lol. :crying:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
New toys! New hack mod!

Works Bell hub, Momo Mod.08 and the factory airbag ziptied in (that's right...) through three holes drilled into the horn bracket. I'm going to replace the plastic zipties with metal cable ties eventually, that'll make it practically as strong as the OEM mounting scheme.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Uh, we don't have official vehicle inspections in Cali, only smog checks and all manner of harassment from police if you have illegal modifications.

I'm not well versed on the legality of modifying the airbag mounting setup, however as an engineer's judgment I think it can be made safe. The Gen2 airbag coincidentally wedges right into the slots in the Mod.08 and stays put on its own (blind guess that it would work -- and it did!). Add metal ties to lock it in place and the horn bracket seriously ain't moving anywhere, even when the airbag deploys it's simply going to push against the wheel, not pull on the ties (Newton's 3rd law).

The last issue I have to solve is just un-grounding the horn button to not be so hyperactive lol, and then we're really home free!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Figured out a more solid way to mount the airbag. There's still a ziptie on the bottom spoke just for alignment, but all the force handling goes through this clamp assembly now. Not as worried about airbag deployment anymore, the weakest link now is actually the factory horn bracket.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Just let us know how soon you miss the steering wheel controls lol
Wouldn't you know now lol.

Thus far I've never frequently used the steering wheel controls except for the "Info" button when checking my average fuel economy. I do miss that already, but it's not critical to operation -- just like the rest of the buttons.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
About to go to Yosemite this weekend! In preparation for the trip, I raised my splitter. Sorry for lack of progress pics, just basically cutting 10 rods shorter.

When first built, Castro Motorsports and I left the splitter hanging roughly 4" from the ground; with use, abuse, and later adjustments it dropped to about 3 3/4" at the sides and 4" in the middle. Tonight I managed to raise the whole assembly 5/8" and the bumper is starting to get difficult to force back on lol. Hopefully I'll clear everything we're about to encounter in Yosemite this weekend!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Constant small improvements. Repaired, raised, trimmed the splitter with red vinyl. Diffuser is off now, opening up space for measurements, see what kind of motor I can fit in the recess. It looks a little naked now without the diffuser but oh well, bigger and better things to come. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

New small experiment, collab with @XCNuse Hoping to use the wing to scoop some air back into the car's wake, making the overall package more efficient. Dunno if I can pick it out in CFD though, so we're just gonna test it :)

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
What do you mean you don't know if you can pick it out in CFD? If you don't use CFD, how are you even going to know how well it's working?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
CFD can help calculate drag forces and what not but I don't think I have the skill yet (or time) to really put together a good simulation. The wing more than likely interacts with my diffuser and honestly I don't have a good handle either on how well that piece is working. So I'm gonna be more old school about it and just do some A/B testing.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
An update of sorts: haven't tested the rear end yet but the front end is getting attention.

The car is currently down for a host of things, including LED taillights and some custom camber/caster plates that Alex Walker helped me make. Sliding the top of the strut back 10mm gives me almost 2 more degrees of caster to work with, right around 5deg. Crank up the camber to 3.2deg soon.

Installed they look like this. There's still more room to slide the strut back, something was stuck in there.

More aero testing to be done. Over the course of the last two months I was wondering why the lower canards alone didn't seem to help mpg's that much. A hypothesis I learned was vortex shedding off the diagonal edge I had, which would explain why a lot of time attack cars end up with plates like this. The vertical fence up front would help a little bit to break up the swirling where it begins. Learning!

Last but not least I have finally ordered the other Sparco Fighter -- worked out a respectable deal with Race Consulting Agency for a new one + a new cover for my old one. Seat (easier to drive fast) + Camber/Caster (much more front grip) = faster!

161 - 180 of 185 Posts