Mazda3 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Ho boy, so I don't think I mentioned this on the build thread before but we're going cross-country!

Baltimore -> Myrtle Beach -> Atlanta -> New Orleans -> Houston -> Ft Stockton -> Phoenix -> Las Vegas -> Los Angeles -> San Francisco.

So today's already Day 1 of the trip and we've covered 500 miles, landing in Myrtle Beach! I've sanded down the surface rust on the bare steel wing mounts, applied Rust Reformer flat black paint, and got in some maintenance work thanks to DomTheGhost, two broken planks of wood and some cinder blocks "borrowed" from the resort. With the wing in min-downforce position we're getting 30-32mpg, which isn't great but considering the speeds (75+) we're driving, completely reasonable!

In contrast to all the thinking involved with the wing, the beach is just damn pretty. Stop, look at it.

Tomorrow we'll be going to Atlanta, visiting MazMart (thanks XCNuse!) and seeing more of the city!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Alright, anyone still on 56k should prepare their anus...

Day 2 -- Atlanta (900mi):

Met the infamous @XCNuse and his racecar! I love it, basically the antithesis of my car in every way except that we both don't have power. :p

Sitting in this is as real as it gets in a 3!

Other gems: a 600hp Speed3 and SOUTHRNFRESH's cleaaaaan 6!

Three threes, three ways to racecar!

Day 3 -- New Orleans (1400mi): We grabbed a quick breakfast at an Atlanta market and headed out to the Gulf Coast.

Welcome to French Quarter!

Breaking necks.

Bourbon Street is, of course, Bourbon Street, but we finally tried Hand Grenades for the first time! And discovered that they're essentially iced margaritas lol, next time we'll go for Hurricanes!

Day 4 -- Houston (1800mi): Driving into Baton Rouge it seemed like nothing was wrong... and then all of a sudden, we find the front wheels and suspension soaked in Mountain Dew Baja Blast lol. Except that it's not, the Baja Blast was in fact Koni shock oil! I'll find pics of this later as @DomTheGhost has my SD card. Without any tools to deal with it though, we decided to simply continue and drive into Houston on blown shocks.

Day 5 -- Ft Stockton (2300mi): Unfortunately, @kryptik had all sorts of problems too and we weren't able to meet him. :( As those of you who follow him on Facebook may have noticed, two tire blowouts and one axle failure is a big freakin' deal. With us on blown (and cracked! pics later) struts, Juan generously lent us his driveway and tools so that Dom and I could crank out our repairs. We quite literally jammed the scissor jack handle into my knuckles, hammered the Konis out, rammed the BC's in and salvaged Juan's discarded zip ties to secure the brake lines to the canisters and didn't give a single f-ck about the alignment. Pictures will come, but they're already on Facebook if y'all are curious. ;)

Day 6 -- Phoenix (3000mi): Strangely enough, the car drove just peachy after our janktastic suspension install and we didn't notice any tire wear going into El Paso, or even into Phoenix, for that matter.

We constantly checked front tire wear at every rest stop but it seriously looked like we did a good job -- even the mpg's were still alright.

Though we kept the car in "limp mode", 50% of our cornering capability is still a ton, which is why this van driver totally surprised us by going 60+ through a mountain pass while towing a scissor lift!

And welcome to Phoenix! Scottsdale, to be precise.

Day 7.1 -- Grand Canyon! (3200mi)

Epic failed selfie:

Day 7.2 -- Las Vegas (3500mi):

As you probably realized by now we're not exactly serious tourists, so I take more fun in capturing the exasperation of my companions:

Day 8 -- More Vegas: Once we discovered Chinatown, we barely spent any time on the strip at all! :D

We did bring back some neat drinks. ;)

Day 9 -- Los Angeles (3800mi): We landed in LA just in time to put my car back on the alignment rack and see how badly we screwed up the BC install in Texas. Results?

Front Before: L-Camber: -2.3, R-Camber: -2.4, L-Toe: -0.03, R-Toe: +0.02
Front After: L-Camber: -2.5, R-Camber: -2.5, L-Toe: 0.00, R-Toe: 0.00

Almost nailed it! For ramming the struts in and not even stopping to adjusting anything we were less than 0.01 degrees from being bang-on with the front toe lol. But of course we corrected everything back to perfect, and with that, finally reunited with the Cha for Tea gang at a local dumpling house.

Day 10 -- Los Angeles (3900mi): The next morning we finally built Splitter V2 at Castro Motorsports again! Few pictures this time as I was very involved in the building and adjusting of the rods. I designed the rod frame to be compliant for occasional scrapes and easy to replace sections of if I mess something up. I've also converted the bumper to pseudo-quick-release so it comes off in less than a minute. :) Pics soon!

With all that done and the car finally back to top shape, we washed the car and went to crash the Rita's meet with this guy:

None other than our own @MattGentle. So much has changed since we last met, this thing is rad!

@Sublime27 completed our set for red, white and blue butts. ;)

Day 11 -- NorCal: After saying our goodbyes (and missing some, sorry!), the next morning we headed up the coast! Taking a stop at the Getty Villa for prettiness and historical humor.

When you see it:

So many beaches along the coast are simply beautiful.

No pictures on landing yet -- cleaning everything out -- so that brings us to the end of our adventure! Total 4,300 miles driven, many places been, and now I'm gonna settle back down, just found a new job to fund our future shenanigans. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Looks like an awesome trip man, good stuff! Sucks that you blew your shocks though...
I thought Matt had a black 3...? Now its a red bagged 3?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sounds like a great time! I was just watching the video for Rita's meet and saw your car in it!

Sent via the FBI Surveillance Van outside my house.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
There's some Monster green left in Matt's car hidden in the interior somewhere. :chuckles: But he's changed almost everything thematically and it's super baller now seeing him pull into the lot and air out for the crowd. :twisted:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I brought my CNC mill back from the dead (7 years since the last boot) and cut some 1/8" fiberglass plate:

New endplates! :grin:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
It costs less than your wheels Nuse. :p

Yeah, I saved up to buy a CNC mill back when I did RC cars. Cheaped out on literally everything but the cutting bits, so it doesn't run nearly as well as you think lol. 6in/min is the fastest it will reliably move. As you can see though it's just large enough to be of use in my new hobby. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Doing small things to fine-tune the wing installation. I looked back through my CFD simulations and realized that the wing wasn't far back enough (in reality) to match the sims. Busted out the drill, tap and rod ends from McMaster and fabbed up a little turnbuckle action.

With the 'buckles hanging off the extreme rear edge of the wing risers, you can see how the wing has moved almost 2" further back. The screw-turn wing angle adjustment is a plus! Now that the mounting pattern is more "universal" for different types of wings, I can start gearing up to make a few kits for sale.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
This has been a great weekend -- all the minor details are getting buttoned up. Hella Supertones, rear wiper delete, fender welting strips, and...

Brake light flasher!

I like it, subtle compared to the rest of my crap.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
You say rear wiper delete, but I still see your wiper... you sure you deleted the right thing? ;)

jk
Brake light flasher looks interesting, never seen that before.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brake light flasher looks interesting, never seen that before.
You mean you've never got behind someone at a traffic light with a CONSTANTLY flashing third brake light? drives me nuts.. I like how his only flashes a couple of times before staying lit, though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Haha yeah the always-flashers do suck. Even this might get annoying if you're following me down a canyon though, we shall gauge the feedback :D

Wiper delete is not pictured, I need to touch up the paint a bit.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
You mean you've never got behind someone at a traffic light with a CONSTANTLY flashing third brake light? drives me nuts.. I like how his only flashes a couple of times before staying lit, though.
Thankfully no. That does sound like it would be annoying...

141 - 160 of 185 Posts