Mazda3 Forums banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Almost an hour to read this whole thread, and am amazed at your progress. Thanks for the pictorial.

I do think having functional wing endplates should be the plan. All the work you have done to make the wing fit, deserves this. Keep up the good work, and updates as you go.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
So, I've done some very unscientific building with a new wing, new diffuser, and side splitters, and just today got an opportunity to test it. I'm way closer to hitting my MPG targets than I thought! I bloody forgot to get the receipt, but I actually hit 39mpg highway today. Route taken:

First leg of the trip was to an interview, so I was not caring about gas mileage. Drove 70-80mph from Cupertino to Menlo Park.

Second leg, my interview was cut short so I took a detour down the 1-S to Santa Cruz. Followed traffic, 55-65mph.

Third leg, coming back up from Santa Cruz to Cupertino I followed traffic and drove 60-65mph up the 17-N, and 70mph up 85-N.

Read the number off the trip meter: 112.5mi
Fill up to the first click as usual: 2.857gal

112.5 / 2.857 = 39.4mpg

I don't have a good measure of avg speed because the onboard computer includes all the stoplights and traffic in its calculation. I'm sure that the average speed on PCH was slow, more than making up for the fast 1st leg of the trip. So, this 39.4 counts, but it's definitely not up to par yet. Thankfully, there's room left to improve the aero, my alignment is still not back to optimal, and the engine's still completely open for improvement.

This is what it looks like right now (plus a little more red vinyl tape).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have this strange feeling that by following you on Instagram for so long, I became very attracted to the newer mazda3s.... and I may or may not have bought a black one last weekend! Pretty stoked that I found your build thread on here - lots of useful info and inspiration!

What's the deal with the Skyactive3 version you have? I can't seem to find anything specifically about that model besides the engine (obviously).

181 - 185 of 185 Posts