Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
4,100k thru 4,300k - essentially the same but marketed differently depending on how they measured the Kelvin.

There is a difference in projector system quality and design that can lead some to be better than others. However, the distance from the projector to the road must also be considered when measuring the amount of light you see hitting the road in front of the car.

Take this same system in the MZ3 and install it on an SUV and it will look more powerful on the road for example.

·
Registered
168 Posts
n1smo said:
Anyone know what the color temperature is on the MZ3's HIDs? Also, it seems like the projector lense is robbing the HIDs' power because I parked my Max next to the MZ3 to compare and the MZ3 did not light up the road as much.
Hey n1smo,

I've notice that on the Mazda3 as well. It doesn't seem to light up the road as much, but it did do a better job than my previous 99' Accord. I've also noticed that the projection of light is not as blue or purple as your high-end luxury cars. I was going side by side with a BMW X5 yesterday...and damn those HIDs are great. Again, BMW quality is different than Mazda quality...it also has to deal with how the projector beams are set up, so it's not so reliant on the bulbs but the actual HID system setup. Just be thankful that this feature is offer in this car segment :D .

Does your Maxima have HIDs or halogens? If the Max has HIDs the road will light up differently than the Mazda3. For one, the Max uses a "reflector" beam setup verses a "projector" setup. Reflector beam setups are almost like halogens...they tend to disperse more light everywhere, where as the "projector" lights have a more direct beam of light. Because of that, it may appear that more light is hitting the road, but compared to brightness, the "projectors" are usually brighter and offer a more concentrated beam of light on the roads.

Spencer

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
overkast said:
Hey n1smo,

I've notice that on the Mazda3 as well. It doesn't seem to light up the road as much, but it did do a better job than my previous 99' Accord. I've also noticed that the projection of light is not as blue or purple as your high-end luxury cars. I was going side by side with a BMW X5 yesterday...and damn those HIDs are great. Again, BMW quality is different than Mazda quality...it also has to deal with how the projector beams are set up, so it's not so reliant on the bulbs but the actual HID system setup. Just be thankful that this feature is offer in this car segment :D .

Does your Maxima have HIDs or halogens? If the Max has HIDs the road will light up differently than the Mazda3. For one, the Max uses a "reflector" beam setup verses a "projector" setup. Reflector beam setups are almost like halogens...they tend to disperse more light everywhere, where as the "projector" lights have a more direct beam of light. Because of that, it may appear that more light is hitting the road, but compared to brightness, the "projectors" are usually brighter and offer a more concentrated beam of light on the roads.

Spencer
The Maxima has HIDs and yes, it is the reflector setup but it seems that the projector setup on the MZ3 is the exact opposite of what you stated. The MZ3's would light up the side walks and trees on the side of the road better but the beam going straight is not that strong. Where as the Maxima is the exact opposite. What you are saying makes a lot of sense because those BMW 5's have the baddest beam pattern on earth but it just doesn't seem to be the case with the MZ3. So if I was to switch to say a 7000k D2S bulb the color would be more blue or purple? It would be nice if I can get the HIDs to be brighter. I've already re-adjusted the HIDs so that it is the opposite of the stock setup. I go to level 1 and it aims the HID up (that is my.. if some idiot pisses me off mode). Level 4 is standard level.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think Mazda made the right decision in choosing projectors from a style point of view. Many of luxury cars we are mentioning in this thread use projector style HIDs. I believe the look is more distinct since there are few cars that use projectors in combination with Halogen bulbs. So when I see white projector head lights coming at me, chances are they are real HIDs. Reflector based HIDs like the ones in the old Acura TL always throw me off because I've seen halogen bulbs that look almost as nice at certain angles. Oh well... it didn't cost that much money, it does put down more light than the Halogen version, and the TPMS system is included. So it's all good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
n1smo said:
overkast said:
Hey n1smo,

Spencer
The Maxima has HIDs and yes, it is the reflector setup but it seems that the projector setup on the MZ3 is the exact opposite of what you stated. The MZ3's would light up the side walks and trees on the side of the road better but the beam going straight is not that strong. Where as the Maxima is the exact opposite. What you are saying makes a lot of sense because those BMW 5's have the baddest beam pattern on earth but it just doesn't seem to be the case with the MZ3. So if I was to switch to say a 7000k D2S bulb the color would be more blue or purple? It would be nice if I can get the HIDs to be brighter. I've already re-adjusted the HIDs so that it is the opposite of the stock setup. I go to level 1 and it aims the HID up (that is my.. if some idiot pisses me off mode). Level 4 is standard level.
Don't get a higher color temperature bulb, this would put more strain on your eyes, and also it won't illuminate the road as well. The color of the sun is 5300 Kelvins, and the bulbs u are trying to get are so much more on the kelvin scale. The human eye can't pick up colors on that spectrum, so u can miss a lot of objects at night, so leave the system as is. It's just the projectors on the high end luxury systems that give them that color appearence. BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, etc. use better projection systems rated at 4100 K. All of them do so, but their projectors are better than the MZ3s. But it's still good that MZ3 offers them. I mean i'm sure they are better than any halogen system out there. My dad has a Mercedes SUV with xenon HID, a 2001 ML55 AMG, the competitor of the BMW X5 4.6is. The projectors on that thing are nice, because Hella from Germany are responsible for making the projectors. Also, when these higher end luxury vehicles bounce up and down on the road, that causes the light to disperse, that's why sometimes the light color changes on those higher end vehicles. I don't know how many of u have seen ur MZ3's HIDs from far away, because if u have, u would notice they may look more blue. I know that if u are far away from my dad's benz, they look dark blue, but up close if u look they are pure white as should be.

·
Registered
327 Posts
One other thing, the brightest HID's in the world, are the Infinity Q45's HID system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Most Nissan HID systems use the D2R bulb which in fact produces less lumens than the D2S bulb. Go figure.

5,000k = more blue
6,000k = more purple

Provided they are accurate statements from good measurements. Most 7,000k + 'sales pitches' are wrong.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Is it possible to run a higher temperature or is the ballast/ignitor set up for the specific bulbs included?

Id like a more purple hue....

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you want a purple hue buddy, then change your projector assembly unless u wanna get those bulbs and decrease ur vision.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
VraiDiouf said:
If you want a purple hue buddy, then change your projector assembly unless u wanna get those bulbs and decrease ur vision.
I wouldnt decrease my vision. The different temps dont necessarily mean it will be less light output.

Its all color above 4200. the color now is good, just like the Lexus style more hehe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
vaBooM said:
VraiDiouf said:
I wouldnt decrease my vision. The different temps dont necessarily mean it will be less light output.

Its all color above 4200. the color now is good, just like the Lexus style more hehe.
The human eye can't see things with a color temperature beyond 5300K which is the temp. color of the sun. The BMW and Mercedes don't use anything above 4100K, they just have superior projectors.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, the blue or purple you see on the BMW is only from certain angles. Look at the vehicle head on and the light is white like anyone elses HID's. Bit move to the left or right and they produce a blueish color.

·
Registered
327 Posts
a_kaup said:
Yes, the blue or purple you see on the BMW is only from certain angles. Look at the vehicle head on and the light is white like anyone elses HID's. Bit move to the left or right and they produce a blueish color.
This is completely correct. On the newer Mercedes and Audis, the projectors are the same pretty mjch as the BMWs. When you look at the sides of the lens u see purple or blue. But if you look directly at the beam, you see complete white. My dad's Mercedes ML55 AMG is this way.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
so on our mz3 how much output is ours? 4100k? 4000? i hope its like 4100...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
just wondering does the manual state that? haha if it did i might have missed it...where did ya get the info?

·
Registered
327 Posts
because all HID light or xenon gas discharge is 4100 K that is what it is for BMW and mercedes

·
Registered
327 Posts
That is the temperature at which the xenon gas discharge burns.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts