Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm writing a 10 page research paper here at Notre Dame for my freshman composition class. I was conferencing with my teacher and after discussing my interests (cars. lol.) we came to the conclusion of a topic that I actually enjoy talking about: the impact of automobile enthusiasts on big business, essentially analyzing the psychological implications of that group and how innovations on a basic level can influence manufacturers to use those ideas on a professional level. i came here looking for input and info, i need some ideas to take up 10 pages...

so, my question to you guys is: why do you modify your cars, and do you think the manufacturers take any cues from the aftermarket in their own products? open discussion about it :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=181498.msg3841777#msg3841777 date=1288196660]
Yes, they change their cars to make them less attractive to modders. Ex: Honda Civic post-99, Mazda 3 post-09.
[/quote]

lol. honestly, i dont really understand how i'm going to write 10 pages about this.... but oh well, keep the input going :)

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Ok, I guess I'll try to be helpful.....

I mod my cars because I generally buy cars that are pretty dull stock (i.e. my Milan, my Outback, etc.) and because I generally enjoy working on cars and modding gives me an excuse.

Do they change their offerings based on people like me? Doubt it. Although, Subaru does have an extensive list of available Subaru branded "accessories" which makes doing some modifications easier. They're pricey, though, so I imagine they just see it as another profit center rather than an incentive to buy the car in the first place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You need to give more direction to your paper, and work on the operationilzation of the variables that you are working with.

For instance, you are asking if automobile enthusiast have an impact on big business. What are you considering "impact"? Are you referring to product development, R&D, or marketing?

Who are you considering an enthusiast? Someone who does an intake, member of a forum like this, or someone who spends a certain amount on their car to modify it?

Innovations on a basic level: Are you referring to a machine shop designing a part and the manufacturer of the vehicle using it in their vehicle. If so maybe you should look at the technology developed for WRC and F1 races and whether or not they are used in their commercial vehicles. IE Subaru incorporates some of their WRC stuff into models available, but Ford really does not.

And the psychological implications bit I am not sure I even follow that...

Hope this helps you a bit, once you answer these questions you should have a better idea of where you want to go with it.

10 pages isn't that bad

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=R3d Baron link=topic=181498.msg3844387#msg3844387 date=1288381218]
That's nuts. My first of the semester is due on Monday :lol:.

[/quote]
luckyy.
[quote author=rudydecc link=topic=181498.msg3844415#msg3844415 date=1288381877]
You need to give more direction to your paper, and work on the operationilzation of the variables that you are working with.

For instance, you are asking if automobile enthusiast have an impact on big business. What are you considering "impact"? Are you referring to product development, R&D, or marketing?

Who are you considering an enthusiast? Someone who does an intake, member of a forum like this, or someone who spends a certain amount on their car to modify it?

Innovations on a basic level: Are you referring to a machine shop designing a part and the manufacturer of the vehicle using it in their vehicle. If so maybe you should look at the technology developed for WRC and F1 races and whether or not they are used in their commercial vehicles. IE Subaru incorporates some of their WRC stuff into models available, but Ford really does not.

And the psychological implications bit I am not sure I even follow that...

Hope this helps you a bit, once you answer these questions you should have a better idea of where you want to go with it.

10 pages isn't that bad

[/quote]

i've got the specifics in mind, i just want the input of enthusiasts (those who see a car more than just a mode of getting from point a to point b) to possibly inspire an idea.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I mod my car because I like the idea of having something great that not many others have. I like it to go faster and look like its mine, not something right out of the factory.

And as far as car companies looking at the aftermarket, just look at SEMA this year. Not just a bunch of tuning companies, there are going to be huge sets of factory-backed cars from companies like Dodge, Toyota, Subaru, Lexus, Chrysler, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alright, good luck then. I just letting you know that you need to address all those questions before you really can start your research.

Looking at SEMA would seem like the easiest point to start with. Its well documented and known even beyond that car Community.

And I mod my car because I like to drive fast.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I mod my car to make it my own. Everyone can have a stock car but only you can make a car to be your very own. Even the smallest of mods can make a big difference in the eyes of the owner.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts