Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run into a problem with the mazda remote starter now that its gotten really cold. I was wondering if anybody else has had the same thing.

When its really cold...the remote starter will fail to start the car. Instead of putting the car back the way it was, the car will stay in accessory mode. I have to use the remote to turn the car off and try again. This is new for this winter...either it didn't get as cold last winter, or somethings pooched.

I've had other remote starters in other cars, and they don't behave like this...its ok for it to fail to start. Sometimes its too cold. But then it turns everything off so you can start again.

Anybody else run into this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same Problem

I made an appointment and when I went to drop off the car, I was told mine was the fifth one in THAT DAY.

Seems the problem is "the crank duration is not long enough to atomize the fuel in less than 10° F tempuratures". Mazda says there is no "fix" other than hold the start button to turn off the remote start and then restart a second time.

The remote start does not know when the vehicle hasn't started and and leaves all accessories on for the timed duration. In my case, this resulted in a dead battery for my wife at 6:30 AM instead of a warm car. Not knowing it was the remote start causing the problem, we purchased a new battery and ended up with the same result (dead battery) within days.

Mazda dealer says this is normal operation and will do nothing to work towards a resolution (fix or refund).

-

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh...while I'm not really surprised, that's still disappointing. My last car starter would fail to start the car I had it in all the time (I blame the car...it was a cavalier)...but it wouldn't leave the car in a position to drain the battery.

I'm due for an oil change soon...I'll be asking about it. Although I will be asking a loaded question. "What should the remote starter do if the car fails to start?" :)

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
This happened to me too yesterday after being parked outside for 14 hours in 10*F. I park in the garage over night - I definitely need to figure out how to get indoor parking during the day too! ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not directly related to remote starting, but starting in general...

I've noticed since it's been very cold that when I start the car it takes a bit to turn over... almost giving me the sound like the battery is straining as if I left my headlights on or something. This has been happening everytime I start lately (since it's been cold). I just took it in for service a month or so ago and the battery checked out ok (apparently). Is this just a general problem with the Mazdas... cold starting?

2004 Mazda 3

Thanks,
Pasta

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just got the remote start installed in the wife's 07 3s Touring, I am glad we live in Houston and don't have to worry about temperatures below 45(F) for longer than a week at a time. I am wearing shorts and will be dropping the top on my MIata this evening.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My remote starter behaves the same. If you guys have the manual for the remote, it says in there that if the remote start fails you have to press and hold start button to turn the accessories off, the starter will not turn the off. I don't think that mazda can fix this, unles they release a new starter module.

It is annoying, but when its really cold I always check if the car is actually running (I can hear it running if I open the door to my garage). But for guys that live in apartment buildings I can see your pain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
[quote author=NPHLYT link=topic=68758.msg1193387#msg1193387 date=1170892816]
Just got the remote start installed in the wife's 07 3s Touring, I am glad we live in Houston and don't have to worry about temperatures below 45(F) for longer than a week at a time. I am wearing shorts and will be dropping the top on my MIata this evening.
[/quote]

Better check with your dealer if it's a factory remote start. When in to see my dealer, I was told Mazda instructed them to cancel all remote start installation appointments for 07's and notify all current customers that the remote start must be removed. I have no details other than my dealer said there would be a new remote start coming for the the 07's and no fix in the works for 04-06 cold start issues.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Has anyone tried replacing the battery with a more powerful aftermarket one? Furthermore, does anyone know what the stats on the OEM battery are? Specifically, the cold cranking amps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts