Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a cold air intake from protuninglab, installed it and then get a check engine light. I noticed a decrease in power but as I drove on it, it would subtly get better. I next reset my ECU by unplugging my negative terminal for a bit and tried the break pressing too. I noticed a much better sound of the intake sucking air and it has much better power than when I first installed it. I notice when I floor it the rpms shoot but there’s not much push or increase of speed when the stock intake was more responsive (this fluctuates and sometimes I do speed up well and someone do not, probably something with gearing) Check engine light is no longer appearing but the power is still not 100%. It is also notably a little laggy I guess you can say when accelerating from 0 then it kicks in at once. This is a 2015 2.5 L GT s. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

·
Super Moderator
1,310 Posts
You should put the factory CAI back on; better filtration. Other than extra noise, aftermarket CAIs are a bit of a scam.

·
Registered
MAZDA 3 GRAND TOURING 2014
1 Posts
As far as I know, some cars have a reputation for ignoring CAI changes without reconfiguring. The ECU is simply recalibrated to accommodate the increased flow without increasing power. There is also the risk of MAF damage when using oil filters. There's also the possibility that I don't have to worry about the same intake restrictions. For this car, the recommended change is a less restrictive panel filter that drops instead of stock.

This site: https://gmbbodyforum.com/best-cold-air-intake-for-mazda
There it is well described about CAI on K&N, maybe an article about protuninglab has already been added, if you are interested, check it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts