Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why the COBB short shifter was dicontinued? Also, I want to move to 225/40/18s on oem rims...what psi in the tires should be used? same as stock or no?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pretty sure there was a thread on the COBB shifter somewhere - maybe in modifications. I think COBB dropped it from their product line but something tells me the move was economic in nature (not due to equipment faults or anything). I saw one on SU the other day - can probably still pick one up.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've been running 225/40/18 on stock rims for some time now and find 35 front 33 rear to be just about right. Gives a firm ride with plenty of traction.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
the cobb shifter was pulled for economic reasons. the shifter itself works just fine, but it's too expensive, and i think cobb knew that and just decided to kill it because it wasn't selling well enough to warrant maintaining its production and support in these hard economic times.

·
Registered
81 Posts
tire pressure has nothing to do with size or brand of tire. No tire manufacturer will give you pressure based on tire size. Pressure is determined by the weight and duty of the individual car. You can find it on the sticker on the inside of the door frame or in the manual.

·
Registered
388 Posts
[quote author=BlackSpeed link=topic=140393.msg3026288#msg3026288 date=1238417298]
tire pressure has nothing to do with size or brand of tire.
[/quote]

you sure about that? different size tires spread the weight over different size contact patches. height of the sidewalls (size again) will have significant effects on a tires reaction time and malleability. similarly, different manufactures use different rubber grades (or combination's there of) and tire tread designs to further "tune" the contact patch and the way the tire carcass reacts to the forces seen during breaking, acceleration and cornering.

pressure effects ALL of these. lower pressures give more contact patch but sloppy sidewalls (slow reaction time). Inversely, high pressures give lightening fast reaction times, but at the cost of contact patch (traction).

Combine these two ranges with personal preference (soft ride –vs- stiff ride) and pressure can make a hell of a lot of difference!

BTW I've had the tmw for some time and absolutely love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts